Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Which is better, mulch or stone? Which stone is better?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Which is better, mulch or stone? Which stone is better?

Postby Laura » Jun 16, 2012 5:02 am

What about using newspaper or cardboard under the mulch ? I have heard this suggested on television for helping keep the weeds down.

It ( the np ) breaks down but what about the inks ?

I was thinking of trying this around my hedge that goutweed is starting to grow into.
Laura

Postby conniepr » Jun 16, 2012 7:59 am

Using Newspaper under mulch: I've done this in numerous areas, where I've had gout weed, and where I've wanted to start whole new flower beds. It works awesomely well! No digging up of the grass, just lay the newspaper and/or cardboard down, soak it with a hose, add the bark mulch, and leave it. I've gone back in a few weeks later to add plants. You still have to dig a hole through the grass, then put the wet newspaper and bark mulch back over the ground once everything's back in. You wouldn't want to do this if you're planting lots of plants, but start slow and add something new each year. Here's a pic of an area I did this in.
New Flowerbed.jpg
This is the area before. I've only dug in the space for the plastic boarder to go in.
mid summer 2011 023.JPG
Here is the after pic, and I've moved the diablo ninebark into the space. This spring, I planted two peonies in here and bearded irises along the sidewalk border. No grass is coming up (just make sure your newspaper layer is thick enough)
conniepr

Postby Laura » Jun 16, 2012 2:40 pm

We are going to try this for sure along our hedge ... we won't be planting there just fixing up the hedge so it looks tidy and trying to keep the goutweed at bay.We cannot get rid of it completely because our neighbor is growing it.

Thanks for the info ... nice to hear from someone who has done it.

How thick did you make your layer of paper ?
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Jun 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Laura: You will need many layers of newspaper. You can also use cardboard, so check out your local supermarket or maybe someone who has moved into the neighbourhood recently. Maybe they have lots of moving boxes they would love to get rid of!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jun 16, 2012 8:21 pm

if you are going to use cardboad make sure it is not coated or waxed.. We made that mistake when we did our lasagne gardens. It will eventually break down but it doesn't work as quickly as regular cardboard.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Eeyore wrote:if you are going to use cardboad make sure it is not coated or waxed.. We made that mistake when we did our lasagne gardens. It will eventually break down but it doesn't work as quickly as regular cardboard.

That might be just what Laura actually needs! The more the better. She doesn't intend to plant anything; they just to want to smother the goutweed that is creeping on to their property from the neighbour. If the cardboard is coated or waxed, then that would be one more barrier to keep the goutweed from growing through.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jun 16, 2012 10:09 pm

For Laura yes, but for sunlover no. Good point Brenda.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby conniepr » Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

When I did my area where the gout weed was, I used about a 1/4 inch layer of newspaper, topped with all the cardboard I could find (including some that was covered with plastic) and then about 1 to 2 inches thick of bark mulch. The gout weed still tried to come up around the edges, but I just patrolled and pulled any sprouts I saw come up until they stopped trying. Those sprouts are still under the main area after three years (tried to plant in there this year and changed my mind when I saw the thick sprouts) but at least my flower bed looks neat and tidy.
012.JPG
conniepr

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas