Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

A little excitement at work today!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

A little excitement at work today!

Postby Heidi S » Jun 18, 2012 1:25 am

I was working on grooming plants in the garden centre, when I heard the cashier at the outside till questioning someone who was attempting to take an item out without a receipt. She has a knack for sensing when someone is trying it on, and she has stopped theft before. As I heard her raise her voice, I quickly moved towards the till and door to give her back up.

The woman was carrying a pricy vacuum cleaner and said her 'friend' over there had the receipt. But the woman she indicated just shrugged and said she didn't know that woman. Regardless the woman walked away from the store carrying this large box. The cashier can't go far from the till, so I told her to go back and call the store manager on duty while I followed the woman. I spoke to her again, and said I needed to check her receipt - she told me her husband had it but he was in the store. I suggested she stop and return to the store with me, but she kept walking quickly. Needless to say, I knew she was lying. She told me to go find her husband myself. Of course, said that wouldn't be happening. So we proceeded across the parking lot as a little parade.

Eventually, my supervisor appeared behind me and asked me what was happening. I told her the situation as we continued towards the edge of our parking area, and she shouted out to the woman that she was calling the cops. She stopped while I continued on behind the woman. My boss had said the cops would recognize her walking down the street carrying the vacuum. She crossed the road and went behind the Canadian Tire on the other side, and I followed about 10 ft behind her.

Suddenly she turned towards me and shrieked "why are you still following me?" I just said "you still haven't shown me a valid receipt for purchase." Then she said some choice/vulgar words and hurled the box onto the ground and told me to 'shove it'. Well, ok I grabbed the box and headed back to the store to meet my supervisor and the store manager who scolded me for taking risks. To them I had been within striking range when she chucked the box on the ground, but I hadn't been within 10-12 feet from her.

Anyway, that's when the adrenaline kicked in and I started shaking. I didn't plan to do anything overt against the thief, just keep her in view until police came. So, I went back into the store carrying the vacuum and feeling very energized. Of course, I have had experience with scary situations at work before, having been in a hold up with guns in my banking career, along with being threatened with a knife when working for the BC government way back when.

I just really don't appreciate someone thieving when I work hard for my money to pay for things I want.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: A little excitement at work today!

Postby MLady » Jun 18, 2012 6:39 am

WOW! You realy did have some excitement at work.
Glad to hear that no harm came to you.
You would really be surprised what people will steal from stores and there is nothing we as employees can do about it.

Cheers,
Kathy
MLady

Postby Smitty » Jun 18, 2012 7:17 am

holy carp!!!! SGT. Heidi on Duty!!!! good for you and glad you didn't get hurt in the process.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby OGrubber » Jun 18, 2012 7:23 am

Glad you didn't get hurt Heidi!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Jun 18, 2012 11:05 am

OMGoodness! That was risky and I'm so glad you weren't hurt.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm

I can't believe the effects of adrenaline on me. After all this excitement, I was completely exhausted for the rest of the evening and into the next day. Just feeling low still today. Too much for little ol' me?
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby CdnChelsea » Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Good for you !!!

Most people would have stood by doing nothing while the woman stole the vaccuum cleaner.

I would have been right beside you even knowing the danger we could have been in.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Eeyore » Jun 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Emotional exhaustion Heidi. I'm sure you'll bounce back in another day or 2.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Ron Evers » Jun 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Good thing you live in Canada - if that was to occur in the excited states you may well have been shot buy the culprit.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jun 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Relieved that no harm came to you Heidi. I hope the employer truly appreciates you.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence