Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing large amount of garlic?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Growing large amount of garlic?

Postby tfb4me » Jun 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello again to everyone on the board today..Anyway I have been growing Garlic for many years now..With amazing success..Well this year my garlic is looking better then ever!! I have a friend that farms 100 acres..He has offered me a 1 acre plot to do some garlic later this summer, into next year...Around here Garlic sells for approx. 150 to 300 a bushel. What I'm asking is, does anyone know approx. how many bushels we could expect to harvest per acre? Also does anyone know where to sell it all? I know what its worth but its worthless without the buyers. Can anyone on here lend any advise? If the profit margin is good enough we could plant multiple acres years down the road..He has been talking about getting out of bean and corn for a while now..Its a good money maker..for every one clove planted you could potentially get 5 to 7 in return! Any thoughts folks?
tfb4me

Re: Growing large amount of garlic?

Postby Eeyore » Jun 20, 2012 11:12 pm

What about a farmers market or are you looking for a commercial buyer?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby tfb4me » Jun 22, 2012 3:18 pm

farmers markets was what I was thinking too..However im sure we would have to go commercial with that large of an amount.. Basically I need to get my ducks in a row before we plant in 3 months time..Does anyone here ever do this? Sure could use some info..
tfb4me

Postby Dumbo » Jun 22, 2012 4:57 pm

I have no clue what prov you are in, so i'll assume Ontario.

Starting a Farm in Ontario - Business Information Bundle for New Farmers
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/bus ... t/sec1.htm

Call them and ask questions.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby tfb4me » Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Very good guess..Yes im in Ontario, sorry. My friend with the land is already a farmer, however he has no clue as to selling the stuff..Ill look into that link, thanks!
tfb4me

Postby Dumbo » Jun 22, 2012 8:22 pm

They have a few links about selling.

But... I think the best info would come from a phone call to discuss the specifics of garlic selling & where.

Ontario has garlic festivals...

Plus selling at markets or joining festivals does *not* come cheap.

A phone call will yield you better quality answers.

Edited.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening