Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Wave Petunias. what am i doing?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Wave Petunias. what am i doing?

Postby erinhall83 » Jun 22, 2012 7:37 pm

OK so this is my firs ever go at growing things outdoors. I got to admit I am not great at keeping things alive indoors, but I am giving it a shot outside with 2 cast Iron planters filled with wave petunias. However they are really stringy looking. I dont know if I should dead head or not, i have read it both ways. when the blooms fall off they do go into seed which by my understanding means the plant is directing its energy to seed making and not flower producing. Please help! i am looking for big rounded mounds of petunias that over hang. one gets pretty much full day sun, the one in the pic, the second isnt so bad looking and only gets afternoon sun. I water them every other day when its not raining.

so should i be pinching off dead ones and all these seeds? or cutting back? I am so lost. the lady at the greenhouse, who was not a flower expert, says she dead heads hers. I did pull of a whole bunch the day i took this photo and it looks fuller now but there are TONS of them and I just dont know what to do. any guidance is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erinhall83

Re: Wave Petunias. what am i doing?

Postby B_BQ » Jun 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Yes, dead head, and dead head! You need to do this throughout the season.
From your pic I would say that you now need to give it a good haircut. Yes. Chop it down to about 12 inches or so. I would suggest you give it some fertilizer too.
Those iron urns dry out so quickly, (I have four so I know), that you need to constantly check the soil. Not too wet, not too dry.
But I think the answer to your problem is that it needs cutting back and fertilizing.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Heidi S » Jun 23, 2012 1:02 am

I have to agree, they need to be pruned back to refresh and kick start the plant, and like all smaller container plants with annuals, need to be fertilized - no food, no growing.

The other concern I have is the metal urn, which can get very warm if in full direct sun all day. Unfortunately this is like sitting your plant in a frying pan.

Wave petunias are not supposed to need deadheading, according to the company that 'designed' them. Check out this page for more help:

http://www.wave-rave.com/IdeasAndInspir ... FAQ.aspx#2

It is not too late in the season to get this plant back on track and performing well for you. The FAQ page I have quoted says these need weekly fertilizing to get to optimal growth.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby erinhall83 » Jun 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I put some of the miracle grow slow release shake and feed in when I planted it, Ill throw some more on too and look at pruning back. thanks so much!
erinhall83

Postby Heidi S » Jun 26, 2012 11:38 am

I think you have to be careful with the slow-release fertilizers - if the temps are too cool or hot, or the moisture not quite right, they do not activate frequently enough for heavy feeders.

The concept is very nice - do it once and you are done, but in my experience, I have found I have to supplement if I use them. In fact, I don't plan on buying any more of those ferts - I just do it by hand watering weekly. Then I know how each plant is doing, stop to deadhead and assess any problems, and best of all, sniff and enjoy each plant. However, I admit I have enough time to do so as I work part time only, so that is always an issue for folks with more busy lives.

At this point, you have determined that something is lacking - so change it up and look for a better response in about 10-14 days.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby brown12 » Nov 02, 2012 5:52 am

nice pics..............
We offer guaranteed 642-999 dumps exam study materials with latest exam dump dumps questions and answers to help you competently prepare for APPLE exams.For more information about this product see our University of California, Davis page and Youtube website.
brown12

Return to Container Gardening