Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomato problems in row one...

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tomato problems in row one...

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Good thing I started extras of some varieties this year. I've had to replace six plants (so far) due to tomato death...strangely, all of them have been in the front row of the tomato patch. Two of the spots needed replacing twice...how much damage can ants do to the roots of plants? The stems just dried up...perhaps they go too dry, but all the other ones in the back are healthy.

When I planted them out, I put a toothpick on either side of the stem in an attempt to foil cutworms. I think I may have cutworm damage further on down the row because the stem looks like it has been girdled...I have such a short season, I wonder if I shouldn't go buy some replacements rather than wait for my small own seedlings to catch up?

What methods of cutworm control is most effective? I've heard of the two toothpicks on either side of stem, newspaper rolled over stem, and a toilet paper tube placed around stem...any other ones I've missed?
DonnaZn2SK

Re: Tomato problems in row one...

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Donna: I've used med sized cans. (Saved them over the winter months). Remove top and bottom. When you plant the seedlings, (small), bury the can half way into the soil. This will protect them from cut worms, etc. Also, I found it much easier to water by pouring the water into the open-ended can itself - water goes straight down to the roots.
Good luck - what a bummer to lose them at this stage.
I have quite a few great-looking tomatoes forming - keeping fingers crossed that everything goes well from hereonin.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 24, 2012 1:12 pm

I think you're correct in the assumption that you have cut worms. I save the gallon containers that my perennials and trees come in from the green house and cut out the bottom and place around my tomatoes. The cans are pushed in around three inches. That way, they don't get sawed off by cut worms. Tilling the garden at least two times gets rid of a lot of cut worms. Sorry you lost your plants!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Brenda and Diane. I never had much problems with cutworms before...the birds are more a nuisance in my yard than anything. I will put some cans around the small ones. What if you trap a cutworm in the immediate area? Wouldn't that be like sending them on a vacation, complete with restaurant facilities? :lol:

Brenda,
My husband couldn't understand why I started so many tomatoes. I only did one or two of each variety, but it really adds up when you have more than a dozen different kinds. :shock: (remember, this is the man who likes flavourless grocery tomatoes the best)

I'm growing a few tomatoes in pots on the deck, but I just assumed the ones in the garden will do better...but first they'll need to survive the cutworm onslaught.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Jun 24, 2012 4:28 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:What if you trap a cutworm in the immediate area? Wouldn't that be like sending them on a vacation, complete with restaurant facilities? :lol:

Oh Lordy!

Brenda,
My husband couldn't understand why I started so many tomatoes. I only did one or two of each variety, but it really adds up when you have more than a dozen different kinds. :shock:

Been there, done that! But after a few years you'll be able to whittle them down to two each of the ones you REALLY like! I think I'm growing only two plants of about 10 varieties this year! lol

I'm growing a few tomatoes in pots on the deck, but I just assumed the ones in the garden will do better...but first they'll need to survive the cutworm onslaught.

Not necessarily. A couple of years ago I grew tomatoes in both the raised beds and containers. The container-grown tomatoes did very well indeed. I think that was because they actually got more attention!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 24, 2012 9:52 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:(remember, this is the man who likes flavourless grocery tomatoes the best)

I wouldn't worry about it Donna. Dead. Alive. It's all gravy. Not like it will change the taste of your cooking... :lol:

*runs*
*runs very fast* :arrow:
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Dumbo wrote:
DonnaZn2SK wrote:(remember, this is the man who likes flavourless grocery tomatoes the best)

I wouldn't worry about it Donna. Dead. Alive. It's all gravy. Not like it will change the taste of your cooking... :lol:

*runs*
*runs very fast* :arrow:

Marc,
I'm chuckling to myself right now, but should I ever have the chance to wrap my fingers around your neck, I might give it a squeeze or ten.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Yesssss \o/
I live to strike again!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I had to replace two more in the front (none in the back)...it doesn't look like cutworm to me. It looks like the stem is drying up and then the plant topples. I suspect something might be in the soil that is doing this, but it doesn't explain why it is isolated to the one area.
As you can see, the top foliage is healthy, no spots or blemishes, only the stem is affected.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Is this what is called blight?

Is that really the root or did you break it off?

Have more pics? Maybe a diff plant?

EDIT:
There is some sort of bug with the picture you uploaded and this forum.
When I look at the pic just like that the root-ball doesn't show.

If I hit reply I then see the whole picture.

Strange.
Dumbo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening