Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Fruit setting in the greenhouse!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Fruit setting in the greenhouse!

Postby Heidi S » Jun 25, 2012 11:36 am

I upgraded my heating and ventilation in the greenhouse this year, refreshed all my growing boxes with new soil, and have been very careful to water and fertilize diligently and here is the first fruit:
IMG_5977.jpg
Cobra Tomato - yeah!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Fruit setting in the greenhouse!

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Nice.
I have a ton of green tomato's starting out as well.

Never heard of the Cobra Tomato. Anything special about that one?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I have heard it is a good greenhouse type - so this is my try it year. My season is too short and cool for outdoor tomatoes or any other 'needs heat' stuff.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 2:39 pm

ah ok. Mind if I ask how you heat your greenhouse? I was reading up on this a few months back and people come up with all sorts of things.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Marc, I have a small 8x8 greenhouse which I open and start to heat around the beginning of May. Our night time temps are still below freezing at that point, but the days are getting longer and the snow is mostly melted.

The floor of my greenhouse is gravel and patio stones which act as a heat trap. During the day I have to have the windows and doors open as the heat rises quite quickly, but at night I use a small oil-filled electric space heater set on a timer and thermostat to not go below +10 C.

I grow my crops in large cedar boxes set on the gravel (with was there before the greenhouse) During the month of May, I have all my hanging baskets and moveable pots arranged around the inside as well. I don't put out the hangers and pots of annuals until the 1st week of June because we can get killing frost until then.

Currently, I have 2 english cukes, 4 eggplants, 1 cantaloupe, 4 pepper plants, and 7 tomato plants (3 Cobra, 2 Early Girl Bush, 1 Sweet Million, and a Tumbler). This amount feeds my little family of 3 quite well, with enough to freeze a bit and share with friends.

In addition, I have 4 4x10 ft raised beds at the back of our city lot, facing south. I grow bush beans, pole beans, beets, kale, garlic, snap peas, a few potatoes, a few strawberries, asparagus and carrots. I also have a 15 ft raspberry row. behind the greenhouse on the north side.

IMG_5915.jpg
Greenhouse in early June, heater is visible

IMG_5917.jpg
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening