Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Strawberry Jam or Preserves

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Strawberry Jam or Preserves

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 25, 2012 7:25 pm

I've made strawberry jam using the directions on the regular Certo box. It is a good recipe, but for cooked jams you will have fruit float to the top. It does use a lot of sugar, but don't be tempted to reduce it unless you are using the "light" Certo.

These days, I only make grape jelly and blueberry/cherry jam...they are the only ones the family will eat, and I've made almost every variety out there.

With the exception of apricot jam, I haven't bought jam or salsa in years...so much tastier to make your own.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 7:42 pm

yeah I read you can't reduce sugar, but read you can substitute Splenda for sugar.

I couldn't find the "light" pectin. Went to two stores. So bought regualr pectin, liquid pectin and freezer pectin.

So guess I'll make the reduced sugar freezer one with the freezer pectin (The link Grandmere pasted, using the alternate low sugar method for the pectin I found).

Will start it in about an hour or so....
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Marc, I'm impressed. I don;t think either of the guys that live here would EVER attempt to make jam.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jun 25, 2012 11:09 pm

I think you just called me gay in a round about way.

Now I need to find a beer jam recipe. Or whiskey jam recipe to make me feel normal again.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 6:15 am

So I got it all done.

1x Freezer jam w/ freezer pectin (white freezer lid on the pic) 7 jars
The link & recipe Grandmere gave is actually a Bernardin recipe copy/pasted into the Canadian Living magazine site. How about that.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwcgv1YBwFo
I added Lemon zest to this, though it's not called for.

1x Regular crystal pectin jam (as shown under the one w/ the white lid) 9 jars
Recipe: http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_pa ... hp?pid=145

1x Regular with liquid pectin (everything I read says it's supposed to be the best taste) 14 jars (but small jars, I bought 125 ml instead of 250, doh). As seen in the boiling water.

No link for this recipe that I notice. It's on the box and in the Bernardin book.

And I have about 4 cups of left over strawberry for the kids to pick at.

That's 20$ of strawberries hand picked at a farm.

And that's that.

Done.JPG
Done.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

Boil.JPG
Boil.JPG (44 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

On to a good pickle recipe now...
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 7:57 am

Yes! Fantastic. Did you taste? Well done.

All you need now is some nice warm crusty bread, some good butter and a nice fat dollop of jam. (Maybe breadmaking is in your future too!). Several of us here make bread.

I'm not sure whether the pickling cukes are ready yet. Will check my local farm stand this weekend and make enquiries. I want to get the really small ones, which are the ones we prefer. I've also promised to make a load of Piccalilli again this year, and pickled onions. No rest for the wicked.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 8:22 am

I only tasted the freezer jam. It's very good. I find it sweet. And this is the lowest sugar recipe next to using sugar-free pectin.

Texture is great. Holds, not runny, and not a jell. Just right. Don't know about the other pectin ones yet.

When I do the raspberry or blueberry (whenever they come into season) I'll try a sugar free pectin to see what it's like.

I'll wait till tomorrow to try the liquid pectin one, which is supposed to be the one that gives the best taste, per what I read.

Guess I have no choice but to do a strawberry Jam taste test tomorrow to rate the different pectins! ;)

lol I have a bread machine. I'm too lazy to do the real thing by hand. But, I never say never!

Yeah my first run of pickles are going to have to be picked today. I tried putting it off, but they are getting too big. Not all out, but enough for a few jars. I think by next week I should have triple the amount, or more. I only planted maybe 20-25 plants or so.

I don't know what to do with all that jam now... I seem to recall making pears in the slow cooker once, a few years ago, with a strawberry sauce that the kids liked. I'll have to revisit this recipe and see how I can work it for Jam. That's a lot of jam (for me). lol

I never heard of piccalilli. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccalilli, sounds different. You make the Brit version of this?
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 8:39 am

Dumbo wrote:You make the Brit version of this?

Yes; much tarter with more vinegar than NA pickles, which are much sweeter.
Two companies make a nice piccalilli - Crosse & Blackwell and Heinz. Of the bought piccalilli we prefer C & B, which is much more sour than the Heinz. My DH and I will eat the Heinz in a pinch, but prefer C & B, (next to the homemade that is..!). :wink:

DH also likes Branston pickle - I don't; again because it is sweeter.

But hey, in a pinch I'll eat Branston too if that's all there is in the cupboard to go with a nice chunk of cheese, or a cold plate!

I used to make Red Pickled Cabbage too, but I never learned the secret of keeping it crisp once it had been processed. It always went a big soggy after about 3 weeks, and pickled red cabbage needs to be very crisp.

Pickled beets are another favourite. At one time I would always use malt vinegar, because that's what's used in UK mostly, and that's what my mother used. But I now use a mix of white and malt vinegar.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 10:15 am

Marc,

If you don't use the jam as a spread, try adding a dollop onto unflavoured yogurt.

If the cucumbers get away on you in size, the larger ones can be used for Ice Cream Pail Pickles, which are like a sweet and sour pickle...traditionally made by thrifty farm wives to use up those cukes (my MIL being one of them)...may be kept in fridge for several months.

Once you start experimenting with preserves, you will find out which ones your family prefer...I've made just about everything at least once, and now I only make what the family will eat. A former neighbour convinced me that her Mock Cranberry Sauce (made with grated beets) was the bomb...not. Ended up throwing the lot out several years later.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Jam can be added to so many things - apart from still warm crusty bread and butter.
Scones, with whipped cream and jam.
A nice creamy rice pudding - even nicer with a good dollop of jam swirled into it.
Vanilla ice cream, my favourite, is great with jam.
Sponge cake, the centre filled with strawberry jam and whipped cream, with confectioners sugar sprinkled over the top.
Layered sundae with ice cream, whipped cream, crunchy nuts, and jam.
Your girls will have lots of ideas too!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening