Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 12:05 am

Who has a good dill pickle recipe (with garlic).

I have a small batch of pickles that are ready to be picked. Maybe 3 1-L jars worth. Not much.. but what the heck, use it or lose it. May as well use it.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: In Need of a GREAT Pickle Recipe

Postby B_BQ » Jun 26, 2012 8:01 am

I'll try to find the one I used last year. It was great. In addition to adding whole garlic I also popped in a very hot Thai pepper in each jar! lol

Ron makes a lot of pickles too. If he sees this he can also provide you with the ratio of brine he has perfected. He posted a scale some time last year.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am

Bonus. I like them with hot peppers. I always make a jar or two like this for myself. But, only the Banana peppers are out so far. None of my hot ones.

Yeah I need someone or something that can give a ratio type thing that I can scale down for small batches instead of a big batch recipe, since I think I will be having whole bunch of small batches.

I'll see if I can spot this post using the search function.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 10:28 am

If you want any input from Ron, you'll have to post in the OTGF forum, he doesn't post in any other one.

My pickle recipe is from my MIL and it doesn't require water bath processing; doesn't result in a really crunchy pickle though. It basically calls for pickling salt, sugar, garlic cloves, dill sprigs, vinegar and topped off with boiling water once the jars are packed with the cukes. The canning equipment needs to be impeccably clean and hot.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Jun 26, 2012 10:54 am

Here's the link to the thread with Ron's brine chart

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25148&p=241952&hilit=brine#p241952
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm

ty for the link, Dave.
DonnaZn2SK wrote:doesn't result in a really crunchy pickle though.

Unacceptable. Kids will throw them at me again.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Dave, quick question...

You have stated before your dad would ferment the pickles prior to canning. I came across a few recipes for what I guess you would call "barrel pickles" that are required to ferment anywhere from 3 months to 6 months.

Is this what your dad did?

Also, was the pickle juice very cloudy? Very extremely salty? I'm thinking these may be the type of pickles by Strubs and Whytes the kids tried the other day and almost lost their cookies on, but not sure.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm

My guess is that you are correct in assuming the barrel pickles are similar to the ones your family disliked. For them to be fermented safely outside of refrigeration, there has to be a large amount of salt added.

There were old-time recipes for dills that required using alum...more than processing method, I think this is what gave pickles their crunch. Alum is toxic in large quantities and, quite frankly, I would rather have a less than crispy pickle than to be ingesting any alum at all.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Jun 27, 2012 12:04 am

Dad's pickles weren't excessively salty.. He packed the jars with dill ( lots) . garlic cloves c (2 or3) and a couple of hot peppers, cukes packed in , more dill on top.. The jars were sterilized before filling , He poured boiling brine over the packed jars with about 1/2" to 3/4" space at top and sealed them .. They did cloud a bit as they fermented in the jar sometimes , and others the brine stayed clear.. They were not crunchy, but were fairly hot and dilly. Everyone that ate them loved them ( unless they were ones that didn't eat hot pickles .. those dills did bite back some . They weren't processed in boiling water bath at all. Usually sat at least a month or two before first ones were eaten .
I know he didn't use any alum in it. That's one crunch maker we didn't use in any canning.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jun 27, 2012 11:42 am

Ah ok. Not the same then. But yeah that's how one of my sisters does them. I asked her for a recipe and she says she just goes by eye and taste. bah. Damn voodoo.
Dumbo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening