Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

help me identify this weed!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

help me identify this weed!

Postby Bilby » Jun 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi everyone...this is my first post, apologies if it isn't in the right spot.
I'm fairly new to gardening and need help identifying this weed that is growing in the middle of my monarda. I've been away the past few springs and haven't seen the monarda in its beginning stages and my husband was insistant that it was part of the plant, however I'm convinced that it's a giant version of the weeds that are also popping up where we ran our water line in (which are much smaller). The pictures aren't the best but if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate the help! I haven't found anything like it in a google image search or a general search of NS weeds.

You can see the large base thought the monarda leaves and then it has these tall thingies.
Bilby

Re: help me identify this weed!

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Bilby and welcome! It's difficult to see the leaves at the bottom of the stalks and I can't say for sure what it is but it looks almost like a bistorta so perhaps a wild version of that.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Bilby » Jun 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks! I'll have to look into that a bit further tomorrow...at first glance the stalks are similar, although the few pics I looked at had different leaves.

I meant to post the other pic which shows the leaves a bit clearer.

I think I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum!

Bilby

Postby davefrombc » Jun 28, 2012 12:24 am

It looks like Buckhorn plantain (Plantago lanceolata L.) to me
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Bilby » Jun 28, 2012 11:10 am

That's it! Thanks so much!
It thrives in low quality turf, which is our lawn.
I wish I pulled it out sooner - my monarda isn't doing so well. Why did I listen to my husband!?
Bilby

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2012 11:41 am

Bilby wrote: Why did I listen to my husband!?

Do you really want an answer???? :lol: :lol: J/K!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Bilby » Jun 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Ha! Yeah, I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he is the one who put in the bed and has been here to see it at all its different stages. I'll know better next time!
I just dug it out from the monarda, hopefully it was enough for it not to come back in the bed. As for the lawn, there is a lot of it, I'm expecting an endless battle. The lawn was in pretty rough shape when we bought the house anyway...it's pretty much 95% weeds. This particular one bugged me because it sprouts those tall things which stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks again for the help! I've been searching the internets for a month now trying to identify it!
Bilby

Postby davefrombc » Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

I didn't know the name right offhand, but it is very common here so I started hunting for a list of weeds,with pix, common in BC . That weed has one redeeming quality for anyone with a budgie or canaries. It produces a seedhead that makes a treat for them when it matures.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Garden Gallery