Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Save My Spinach

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Save My Spinach

Postby Dumbo » Jun 28, 2012 11:19 pm

My spinach leaves appear to be going pale. Green, but pale green.

What's going on? Lack of anything? Nitrogen?

These are in pots w/ bagged black earth and sheep manure.

EDIT:
I only manged to find one other sucker with the same thing/symptom as I have (leafs pale green), The advice given to him was to use a liquid fertilizer, or even better a foliage fertilizer (no clue what that is). The guy says Spinach is a big time nitrogen eater.

This advice sound? So it's due to lack of Nitrogen?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Save My Spinach

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 29, 2012 1:10 am

It could be due to lack of nitrogen, or it could be stressed in some way ie. overwatering.

If you want to give it fertilizer high in nitrogen, you can use lawn stuff as long as you know it's safe for edibles. I'm sure you know all this...lawn fertilizer has the high N number for Nitrogen.

It's starting to get hot, so don't expect your spinach to last much longer before bolting. There are other leafy greens that would make a good substitute, ie chard, beets, etc.
DonnaZn2SK

Re: Save My Spinach

Postby Dumbo » Jun 29, 2012 2:17 am

okey-dokey will toss something in the high N range (but not too high) Maybe 20ish. Then see what happens.
TY for confirming.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:It's starting to get hot, so don't expect your spinach to last much longer before bolting. T

Donna, I bought my Lettuce and spinach a very large sun umbrella. You know the type for an outside patio table? So they get the early morning sun, and the 5ish-pm+ sun. Otherwise they are shaded.

Someone in this forum stated she moved hers to shady spots in the day and she got more out of it, delayed bolting of everything and even got more cuttings from them. But, like everyone else, I'm too lazy to shuffle stuff around. So they have their own sun umbrella :lol:

Seems to be working so far... Time will tell.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening