Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Endless summer hydrangea problems

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Endless summer hydrangea problems

Postby tavery313 » Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi, I live in New Hampshire and I have the same problem with my endless summer. I got it in 6/2005 as a gift when my son was born. It had blooms that year. The next year it had very little blooms. I don't remember if it had any growth on the old wood. The next 4 years no blooms & no growth on old wood. Last year, 2011, it had growth on the old wood and bloomed. Now, nothing. I haven't done anything different so I can't imagine why. I have been scouring the internet for someone else with this problem and how they fixed it. No luck. I'll let you know if I come up with something. Tara
tavery313

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 29, 2012 8:49 am

I wonder how realistic it is to have blooms from old wood as far north as Ottawa. Here, it is an iffy proposition so, except for a cherished oakleaf hydrangea, I switched to cultivars of Hydrangea arborescens (Annabelle hydrangea) for a more consistent bloom. Just bought a new cultivar called 'Bella Anna'. It has large reddish-pink blooms on new wood - will see if it lives up to the family's reputation.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Trish...I recently bought a "Bella Anna" as well. We'll have to compare notes over time. As it so happens, it was a replacement for Endless Summer!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 30, 2012 9:23 am

Scrapinthehat wrote:Trish...I recently bought a "Bella Anna" as well. We'll have to compare notes over time. As it so happens, it was a replacement for Endless Summer!

Oh how interesting, Scrap. I love the blooms of 'Bella Anna' but it is really struggling in part-shade in our terrible heat. Just hoping it makes it to fall. How do you think yours will do through the winter?

A Closet Canuck

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 30, 2012 5:50 pm

Trish...mine is in part-sun conditions as well. It would probably do better with morning sun only, but I am unable to relocate it to the front as I'm certain dh will forbid the removal of any grass in the front yard (my next husband will be a gardener!)

Currently it looks a little scraggly, but has a few blooms about to open. I refuse to pamper anything so it will not be receiving any extra winter protection. Having said that, it is close to a fence, protected from a rather large Almond Bush and insulted with bark so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I planted three Invincible Spirit Hydrangeas three years ago and they are doing well with no extra protection. Blooms are a dusty rose/pink but much smaller than Annabelle. I don't mind though as I have limited space. I'll try to take pics to post of all three varieties in their full glory. Would love to see yours too.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Heidi S » Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I have heard that these hydrangeas have not met expectations in many areas. We sell them in our store (HD) but I put a Zone 4 max hardy warning on them and I try to check with customers that they understand the limitations. A fellow Master Gardener in training from Quesnel (1.5 hrs south of here - Zone 4) tells me that she also has had problems down there and advises her customers that it only really blooms on new wood - she just cuts the old canes down every fall.

I just purchased a proven winners 'Quickfire' hydrangea paniculata to replace a dead conifer. She's settling in well, and is starting to bloom - I am hoping it does well in the winter. It is supposed to be good to Zone 3A.

The elusive colour is blue for hydrangeas, and they just don't seem to take the cold.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Scrapinthehat wrote:..., but I am unable to relocate it to the front as I'm certain dh will forbid the removal of any grass in the front yard (my next husband will be a gardener!)........

Good luck with that plan, Scrap! I'd love a husband-gardener too but I hear husband-gardeners are snapped up as soon as they come on the "market".

I might try a bark mulch for my 'Bella Anna'. Thanks for the idea.

Heidi, how good of you to try to educate customers about the limitations of 'Endless Summer'. Not all HD garden centers are as thoughtful.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Heidi S » Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Well, Trish, most HD stores do not employ a master gardener, but I got my basic training this last winter (on my own time and dime). I am also a member of our local botanical gardening society and have 30 years of practicing and learning. Our store has a lot of zone challenges, since we serve a huge, huge, geographical area encompassing Zone 1-7.

Because most of our staff are just not familiar with zone issues, I have printed up several charts with Zone information for most of the towns and cities within our area (from Haida Gwai to Valemount and Williams Lake to Fort Nelson). I am trying to educate all of the regulars who are in the garden area.

The most common refrain I hear from customers is "why would you sell something that isn't in our Zone (here in PG @ Zone 3" - but my response is always, we serve this enormous area, and our customers all need choices. Unfortunately, the Zone 3 stuff sells out quickly in a town of 80 thousand! I even refer them to the one stand alone garden centre up the hill, and then they complain that that place is too expensive!

Gardening is hard work, and working in a garden centre is even harder - but so much fun at the same time.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 01, 2012 9:27 am

Your store serves zones 1 through 7 - that is incredible!! Here, the big box stores order in zone-inappropriate plants because they buy for a LARGE region and the inventory is divided up equally. So, we get perennials that are appropriate for Texas, about 1,000 miles away. I've noticed this most with WalMart. Good for the company, I suppose, but bad for customers who actually believe they can grow zone 7 plants in Iowa.

Good for you on getting your master gardener rating - what a good resource for your customers. I can only imagine how hard you and the other staff members work, in the sun, in the heat, in the wet. I hope you get an employee discount.

A Closet Canuck

Postby belinda_mayer » Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm

I have to admit I gave up on the Endless Summer, I ripped it out. I really want a hydrangea that behaves like a shrub. I think I will go with an Annabelle.

With this drought though it may be a while before I plant anything.
belinda_mayer

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk