Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby jaimeg » Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I have lily beetles and no lilies, well except for the orange/yellow ditch lilies that are native, and the beetles completely ignore them.

The beetles are eating my tomatillos!I'm going to try the talc solution tonight.

Do you think the talc would work on cucumber beetles? They were my nemesis last year, they were all over my cucumber and squash plants.

Jaime
jaimeg

Postby Dumbo » Jun 19, 2012 1:44 pm

jaimeg wrote:Do you think the talc would work on cucumber beetles?

Cucumber beetle is a general name for a bunch of different beetles. Some react to certain insecticides. Some don't.

Diatomaceous Earth may or may not work.
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin ... ioxyde.htm

Or an insecticidal soap that has "Pyrethrin" on the label (not sure if this is still sold in Canada... think it is). This type of soap may instead list chrysanth as an ingredient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysanthemum

These are low impact. Try on a spot before applying everywhere.

I don't think i'm a fan of talc as a "cure all".
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Here is my white flag of surrender. As soon as they are done blooming, they are coming out. It's a shame - they are so pretty. All the red ones are out and almost out, the yellows are not far behind and neither are the orange ones. I came home today; however, to a butt load of more larvae. From reading the links Marc put up, this must be the ones coming out of the ground from when they mated...?

Don't lose heart! My lilies were horrid last year, I was on vacations when the first beetles came out, so they were eaten and covered and all that. I sprayed, and washed some, dig up some and sulfured the bulbs before replanting, gathered and discarded foliage.This year between the rains and Talc Way the same lilies look healthy and, the main thing, slime and larvae free. I just squash the adult beetles. That's almost pleasant compared to larvae!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby inbox282 » Jun 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I plan try to powder my lilies although they already look pretty bad. I am assuming that if I keep killing the ones that appear, next year will get better...I hope. I hope someone tells me I am right. :(

Once I get these darm beetles under control, I will post and ask how to keep the rabbits away. Rabbits really do a job on the lilies. I have to say that since I have been putting oil on the lilies, I have had less rabbit bites.
inbox282

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 19, 2012 10:23 pm

1quote="Elena Zimmerman"]

Don't lose heart!

I'm afraid I already have... :( I just don't think I have it in me to keep this process up every couple of days...much less on an annual basis...it's tough though b/c now they are so pretty!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 22, 2012 9:11 am

I know what you mean. I am about to dig up and dump my currants after 8 or so years of endless struggle with fruit fly, that the fruit fly is always winning :(
Elena Zimmerman

Postby maryjanej » Jul 03, 2012 3:31 am

As anyone tried making a spray from 9 parts water and 1 part household ammonia ?

I read this on the internet and was wondering if anyone tried it?

Mix 9 parts water and 1 part household ammonia. Place in a spray bottle. In the spring time when the lily buds first start emerging, spray the flower and the surrounding earth. The lily beetle larvae go dormant over the winter and emerge as adults in the spring. This solution should kill them before they have the opportunity to hatch. Following this treatment up with an insecticide is recommended.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5591486_rid-red-lily-bugs.html

Mary-jane
maryjanej

Postby Smitty » Jul 03, 2012 8:55 am

I will NOT give up my lilies for a freekin bug!!!!
I am diligent attempting to keep them under control with potato dust and squishing and scraping off larvae(GROSS) and drowning it in a dish of soapy water !!
Unfortunately this is only short lived and a feeble attempt at best...beetles keep coming but so far this year there is very little damage to the plants.

Apaarently this little beggar thought he'd sit for a photo..killed him I did!! and it felt good..told him to send pheromones out to friends warning them..."Smitty is a murderer"

butter pixie lily.JPG
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am

Nah, Smitty is a KILLER!

Same here. Started noticing lavrae, but very few, and only on 2 or 3 separate lilies. I actually just pulled one out instead of washing it off (it was a part of the border clamp and crooked anyway!)
Elena Zimmerman

Postby I'm_Outdoors » Jul 07, 2012 10:46 am

Morning to Everyone out there...

I am a "Newbie" on this site as well as this "Forum" thing.........took some figuring.

I have been "A Caretaker" of Lilies for 20 some years. Slowly adding some new ones every
year to my Little Patch as I could afford to.............while trying to raise a Family at the same Time and Working more Hrs than I'd like to.

I just wanted to Add my "2 Cents" worth about these "Creatures in Red".....

Up until a few years ago.........I never heard of them........My main concerns were with my neighbors "Spraying" their lawns with "Weed and Feed" in too rich a mix and on a Windy day................I had much "Deformed Blossoms".

Then "The Ones in Red" came.

What gets me is that "They" attack right from early Spring when my Lilies are just Poking through.......I do not understand where they come from so early in the year when there seems to be no other insects out yet.........it is like they are Wintering in with the Bulb itself.

I "Do Not Like" to use Greenhouse sprays or chemicals.............We seem to be Low on "Bees" this year.

I must admit that I do enjoy Squashing these Creatures..........although their tenacity for Attack on Multiple Fronts is becoming quite tedious.

I have noticed that "They Do Not" appear to attack my "Oriental" Lilies such as the Casa Blanca's.
Guess they don't like the taste.

I have also tried spraying some Home made solution of Dish soap and water for the "Larva" stage........with some success.............you really have to soak them.

Other than that I notice that the Blossoms themselves are severely affected by them
as they are much smaller in size and many Petals on a given Blossom are Deformed.....
as if Shriveled up.

Sorry for my Long Post on a First attempt............and keep up the Diligence against these Creatures.

A Fellow Lily Man
David
Winnipeg
I'm_Outdoors

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk