Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber Beetle Infestation...HELP

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Cucumber Beetle Infestation...HELP

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks, maryjane. I bought Rotenone yesterday evening. But doubt very much I'll make a concoction of wood-ash (which is caustic) and then add lime which is a weak acid (unless you mean lime, as in calcium hydroxide), but that would be even more caustic than wood-ash). Sounds too voodoo-like for my standards. Not sure how the leafs of the plant would like that as well.

So none were stuck to that yellow thing after 24-hrs. As said, I believe it takes an attractant.

I tried to find Eugenol , but I don't think they sell it to the general public. No clue. I would have to order it via the lab. So I pulled out my organic kit and i'm going to extract Eugenol myself.
Set_up.JPG
Set_up.JPG (28.72 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

100x cheaper and no wait.

I barely saw any this morning (but they were doing their 5-am hump). Maybe they don't like rain? They better not leave on me now. I have to know how eugenol will work. It's an apparent female cucumber beetle sex attractant. I'll spread it on that yellow sticky paper tonight.

Hope I don't attract more with this... That would totally suck.

Edited
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 04, 2012 7:46 am

Dumbo wrote:Hope I don't attract more with this... That would totally suck.

Yes it would.
That has been the case with some of the pheromone [sp?] traps that are available commercially. Which particular pest, I don't recall though.

Mary-Jane, thanks for the input. I'm wondering how that ash/lime mix is going to handle going through a sprayer nozzle, though. I'll probably end up doing a test run on a couple of squash plants to see just how caustic and/or effective the ratio is.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 9:20 am

Guess you can add some copper sulfate in with that and make it a triple action product!

Insecticide + fungicide + fertilizer.

For the wood ash, put it in some sort of cloth bag (like a pillow case maybe)and steep it for a few hours in the 3 gal (11-L) of water. Use hot water. Once cold/room-temp, then add the calcium hydroxide.

Or, if you make the triple mix.

put the copper sulfate in 6-L of water in a bucket to dissolve
In another bucket steep the ash in 5-L then add the calcium hydroxide.
Then slowly mix the two together.

I'm curious what the pH of this will be. I am expecting it to be high due to potassium hydroxide being created, but there is a super excess of calcium hydroxide, plus it's diluted to 11-L, so I don't know. Have a pool pH kit or something?

Interesting. Makes me want to try this... But not for the bugs.

pH off the top of my head seems like it would be high.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am

Marc,
It's good to see you using your powers for good, and not for evil.

Although, I think all this time spent making concoctions for the beetles, you could have used picking them off manually!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby OGrubber » Jul 04, 2012 11:29 am

[Nice zinger, Donna. Suspect you owe him a few more though. laf]

I have ph strips so can easily give a range for the dual mix, but don't have any coppersulphate so can't do the triple mix. We'll see if I get a chance later today....
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby maryjanej » Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Your welcome guys,

I read somewhere else to use 1 oz wood ashes and 1 oz dehydrated lime to 1 gallon of water maybe hot water would mix better with it. I might try this one it seems like less toxic.I'll spray some on the ground at the same time. I also want to get rid of them.

I do know that a little bit of wood ashes are good to spread in your garden usually in the fall but it does get a chance to mix in the ground it's a good source of potassium.
Not recommended for acid loving plants.
http://www.ehow.com/way_5831166_homemad ... etles.html

another place mentions to dust the mixture on the plants without mixing it with the water but to do it after the dew.
http://www.growavegetablegarden.com/356 ... er-beetle/

I also read that for the red lily beetles you can mix 1 part household ammonia to 10 parts water to make a spray. And it's suppose to be good for other beetles.
I tried this one on the lilies and the ground and will keep it up to see I also kill any I do see.

Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Donna,
I don't do the squish.

EDIT:
*Sprays eugenol on himself and passes in front of Donna*
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 6:16 pm

ok so this is now what I did:

-I stapled the remaining yellow sticky things onto a thin flat board (only one side),
-drilled a hole in the two top corners and hung it with cord in-between two rows (hangs 4-feet off the ground)
-put a few drops of eugenol (couple of drops on the top and bottom of the board so as not to possibly dissolve the glue on the yellow sticky paper.
-peeled off the protective wax paper on the yellow sticky stuff to expose the sticky end.

By the time I picked two dozen pickles I had 5 cuke beetles already stuck to it. But I don't know if it's cuz of the eugonal or me disturbing them getting at my pickles.

Tomorrow will tell.

It's a volatile oil so the board has to get a few drop's all the time. I'll do it when it's completely dark out, like at 10 or 11 pm before their daily 5-am orgy, and maybe this way it won't attract bee's as well (read Bee's will go for it to rub on themselves, or something, since they use it to attract mates as well).
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Dumbo wrote:Donna,
I don't do the squish.

EDIT:
*Sprays eugenol on himself and passes in front of Donna*

Phew...what's that smell?? (checks bottom of her shoe)
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 9:33 pm

*takes notes for future retaliation*

EDIT:
Now have about about dozen stuck to that thing. So it could be the eugenol, or it could even be due to the new height of the sticky thing. No clue.

Very cheap method that appears to work (something is working).

Also noticed I have less of them since yesterday. Not sure why, have to read up on their life-cycle.

EDIT 2:
One thing I noticed is that I have a lot of black wasps. 1/2-inch or more long. I planted those companion or trap flowers to attract them (as I read to do). Also planted carrots right next to the cukes, as I read to do, since these are supposed to attract them.

Not sure if this has an affect on this beetle population, but they are all in my cukes as well. I see none of those white eggs things that wiki speaks of, but then again these cuke beetles are really small.

The pic on wiki shows a wasp with a red body. The wasps I have are all black.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braconidae not sure if it's the same wasp.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening