Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber Beetle Infestation...HELP

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Cucumber Beetle Infestation...HELP

Postby Dumbo » Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

You know OGrubber, a lot of this makes for some very interesting science experiments for kids, for their high school science class or projects (or whatever).

I don't have calcium hydroxide like you do, but to make it is a piece of cake.
-heat/burn chalk in an old pot on the side burner of a BBQ
-remove from heat, stand back, take a hose to the chalk

Voila, Calcium Hydroxide.

I think I'm going to have one of the kids try some of this when they get back from vacation, if it interests them.

Lots of chemistry here that would be good for a school project. Hands on old time stuff.

Very good info you provided, maryjane. On all levels. I never in my life would have thought of all this. Definitely food for thought.

Thumbs up
(and I called it all voodoo... how wrong I was).
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm

The bug population seems to have exploded today. Wonder if I am seeing the birth of a new generation of this bug? Time for that poison rotenone (however it's spelled) I bought.

Didn't want to use this, the label says it kills wildlife. Came close to returning it yesterday.

But, not like they are eating the veggi's... hm decisions, decisions... Maybe I'll just share the garden with them as long as nothing else wilts over. blah

I have every bug imaginable stuck to the yellow thing. Beetle, fly, bee, wasp, bird feathers, mosquito's. It's kinda gross.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 06, 2012 9:22 am

Dumbo wrote:..... a lot of this makes for some very interesting science experiments for kids, for their high school science class or projects (or whatever).

Agreed.
An inquisitive mind would have no shortage of things to investigate.

Dumbo wrote:.... (and I called it all voodoo... how wrong I was).

But some of it is just that - voodoo.... or at least, something that was done in combination with something/many things, and all the credit/fault given to the one thing.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby simple4 » Jul 07, 2012 6:29 pm

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks for all the info but today I must admit, cover your ears or eyes in this case as this may be offensive....I hate gardening...there I said it...don't really mean it but man is this ever a challenge to get a decent bug free, disease free, wilt free vegatable. To date, cucumber infestation, worms on my cabbage, wilt disease on all my Roma tomatoes..all dead, chinese cabbage...dead from something, yellowing fungus spreading pumpkin leaves and now....the JAPANESE BEETLE is going to town....tell me why we are all doing this.....BLAH...
simple4

Postby Mervyn » Jul 07, 2012 7:05 pm

simple4 wrote:This has been a very informative thread. Thanks for all the info but today I must admit, cover your ears or eyes in this case as this may be offensive....I hate gardening...there I said it...don't really mean it but man is this ever a challenge to get a decent bug free, disease free, wilt free vegatable. To date, cucumber infestation, worms on my cabbage, wilt disease on all my Roma tomatoes..all dead, chinese cabbage...dead from something, yellowing fungus spreading pumpkin leaves and now....the JAPANESE BEETLE is going to town....tell me why we are all doing this.....BLAH...

Because each year it's a little better, and each year we get a little closer to that perfect year of gardening, and we only remember the good parts, it's a sickness really similiar to the illness that makes us golf,

As as example was the year I had a rabbit visity my garden on a daily basis, it would walk past the lettuce and carrots and only eat the dandelions in my lawn... but I don't mention how I eventually lost all of my lettuce to slugs,
Mervyn

Postby Dumbo » Jul 07, 2012 11:20 pm

These beetles weren't killed fast enough for me the other day so I tossed Rotenone on everything.

Today I saw exactly 2 of them. they seem pretty much wiped out. This will also work on your cabbage bugs, and most other pests.

So there are ways to prevent what you have. I got rid of them in less than 2 days.

As for your fungus, buy fungus resistant plants next year? Or buy a fungicide now to prevent more death and destruction.

I know in a couple of days from now I'll toss on some Bordeaux mixture on everything, even though I see no signs of any fungus. Preventative measure.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 18, 2012 2:44 am

I have a bunch of catnip growing, I was trying to find the degradation temperature for the main ingredients since i'm going to toss it in the dehydrator and came across some interesting info.

A couple of the active ingredients:
http://sitem.herts.ac.uk/aeru/iupac/Reports/1388.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepetalactone
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidine

Seems nepetalactone affects, or rather disgusts and repels, cucumber beetles and some other bugs (white flies and more) and makes them take off when sprayed on cukes (not sure how healthy this is if you eat it)

In addition it has a pheromone (Actinidine) that attracts wasps (and some butterflies and ants) which will feed on other bugs.

I no longer have a cuke-beetle problem, but next time I do I'm going to try and extract these and see what happens.

Anyone try it? Or grow catnip near their cukes? Any comment on it? Guess you would have to rip leaves and crush flowers for the oils to be released. Repels mosquito's as well. :p
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening