Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber. What to do with them?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Cucumber. What to do with them?

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Yeah i've had eggpant done like that with a bit of Parmesan on it... at least I think it's eggplant. The dark purple thing. Pretty good. Didn't think about this with zukes though.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jul 08, 2012 7:18 pm

You can also slice cukes about 1/4 to 1/2" thick, dip in a light batter and pan fry.
Mature zucchinis have a tough skin, but you can slice them in half lengthwise, remove the pith and seeds and then stuff them with a meat/ veggie mix and bake. Larger zukes are also great sliced and used instead of the noodles to make a zucchini lasagna. Hmm , never tried it , but since battered, deep zucchini strips are good with dips, I think cukes done the same way would be good. Maybe something like a ranch dressing dip with added dill weed.
With lots of cukes available , try thinking of a few things outside the box as far as culinary adventures go .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Marc,
I hesitate to give you any of my recipes since I am still disgruntled from your cooking comments.... :evil:

Anyway, I am more mature than you, so I'll give you a few cooking tips.

I slice the zucchini into thick slices on a slant or you can cut them lengthwise, as Brenda said. Salt and pepper it and add a dash of Italian dressing (I use the Kraft Golden Italian). Grill them on both sides until done (not overly so), then brush with a bit of bbq sauce. I use Kraft Chicken & Rib - it is sweeter than the other sauces, just to warn you.

My zucchini soup is quite basic: saute finely chopped onion and grated carrot in 1/4 cup of butter. When it has softened, add grated zucchini (about 2-3 small ones), stir that around...add some flour (about 1/4-1/3 cup), stir that around - make sure it doesn't stick to bottom of pot. Add chicken stock or water, salt and pepper to taste, dried thyme and a few shakes of dry chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or so. You can add some milk or cream near the end of cooking for a richer soup. I add chopped parsley at the end too, much to my family's chagrin..."there's something grassy in this, Donna!!"
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm

My Dearest Donna,
(To whom it may concern)\

Please, don't be disgruntled with me. I am only playing. I really do like you. Thus the reason why I toy with you. You are dear to me.
(The last babe that used the word, disgruntled, tried to take me for all I worth. It failed. Then she tried blackmail. It failed. eh, so I sold everything for 1$ to her best friend, who is no longer her best friend.)

Mature is relative. You bring a smile to my face. Be less mature and let's meet at bobs diner and motel. It's more fun than hauling manure to the garden.
(Anyone every tell you that you have x-years to live? And if they did, would your panties be bunched over an internet forum?)

DonnaZn2SK wrote::evil:

OMG the evil face! eeek.
(Sorry to be immature, but that face turns me on. Got a whip? MmMmMm)

I will try your BBQ thing. You and Brenda (Brenda of Bay of Quinte, Arrrr & avast mate) make it sound good. Checked the zukes just about an hour ago. I see nothing yet. But damn, these plants are huge. 4 plants take up 7 feet by 3 feet.
(Huge, babe, huge. At least that's what the girls believe on acid)

TY for your recipe, but I am not a super-chef. How much water? How much should this thing make (in litres)? I need direction
(I swear, that is mega-volume. Don't believe what your brain is telling you. Ooops, I put it in the wrong pot. Sorry.)

Edit:
*hic*
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 08, 2012 10:42 pm

davefrombc wrote: Larger zukes are also great sliced and used instead of the noodles to make a zucchini lasagna.

Yeah, I've read this a few times. Never tried this. Has anyone here tried this?
Will try it this year. Kids won't look at it but I would try it.

This reminds me of Musaka. A Greek dish? Isn't this the same thing but with eggplant? Will have to google this and check.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 09, 2012 12:01 am

Here's the recipe, Marc. Don't use that small text again...I'm not gettin' any younger and reading all that made my eyes cross, now I'm cross. j/k

Cream of Zucchini Soup

1/4 cup butter
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrots (homegrown is best - better flavour)
3/4 cup diced onion

1/4 cup flour
2 cups water
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder (optional - use less salt if you are adding this)

Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add zucchini, carrot and onion. Saute until onions are soft. Sprinkle flour over and stir well. Add water, milk, and seasonings. Heat and stir til thickened. Simmer for 10 minutes or so. Add grated cheese and/or chopped parsley if you want at the end of cooking. Makes 4 1/2 cups.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 09, 2012 12:32 am

I copied and pasted your recipe. Please don't sue me.

As soon as the zukes come out. This will be the first thing I try. I want to put myself in your kids shoes and feel their pain. ;)
So you grate your zuke? Is that right?

Don't be cross with me, honey. I'm pretty sure that there must have been some sort of pagan zucchini dance lost in time. Let's meet up and and revive the ritual. Ummm, and no. I don't want to be the next future future "bog man". Thanks.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 09, 2012 1:10 pm

I'll leave you and Donna to do battle - you're both very accomplished!!

I've not made Gazpacho with cucumbers, but I have had it at a dinner party. It was delicious and I filed it away to make some time. (Unfortunately the file got lost!)

I do make the standard Spanish tomato gazpacho, which is great, especially using several different varieties of home-grown tommytoes.

I came across a recipe for cold cucumber soup, and I don't really see why you shouldn't be able to use zucchini too.

I like these ingredients, but would probably give it a tweak or two.

3 medium cucumbers;
3 cups chicken broth;
3 cups sour cream, (I would use no fat and also try it with no fat yoghurt too);
3 TBS cider vinegar, salt, minced clove of garlic.

(Quantities could be adjusted easily, e.g. 5, 5 & 5) and up the other ingredients a bit.

Peel cukes, halve lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut into chunks. In a blender cover and puree cucumbers and broth in small batches. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream or yoghurt, vinegar, and garlic, season to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Stir before serving.

Garnish with all or one: 3/4 cup sliced almonds, (I would toast lightly), 1/2 cup chopped green onion; 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley.

When I had it it was a lovely creamy, almost thick, texture, but not thick enough to stand a spoon in it. A little bit thicker than cream.

I'm going to make some soon. I never buy the regular cukes, always the English type, but I will give this recipe a go. We like cold soup.

I've just now made a carrot/potato/onion cream soup with fresh lemon thyme. No written recipe. I will leave it to go cold and we'll have some tonight. I have tasted it and it's lovely.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Yes, Marc, Food banks across the country welcome fresh fruit and veggie donations. There is even a program called something like "plant a row - grow a row" sponsored by seed companies to encourage folks to grow an extra row for the poor.

Check out http://www.growarow.org for more information. I bet if you call a local food bank they will gladly help you out!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 8:08 pm

On another note, I have made grilled veggie lasagna, using grilled slices of zuke instead of pasta - everyone in my house loved it!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening