Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

First year I grow Kale

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

First year I grow Kale

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 11, 2012 12:46 am

It's gorgeous but now what do I do with it? :lol: I've never eaten it but read somewhere it was super healthy to eat. I know one can stir fry it in a bit of oil with garlic. Any other tasty recipes?
Mygrandmeresgarden

Re: First year I grow Kale

Postby B_BQ » Jul 11, 2012 7:40 am

I asked that of a Dutch friend one time. She said they used it in soups, stirfry, chopped and mixed with creamed potatoes, which was their favourite way of eating it.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 11, 2012 8:58 am

OK so I'm on the right track! The darn stuff is simply gorgeous! I guess Ill go look for more Kale recipes.

Thanks!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby orchidguy » Jul 12, 2012 12:26 am

Diane.
as Brenda has stated, kale is great in a stir fry, soups, but is also great as a steamed veggie and a pseudo cole slaw (I use a heated dressing for it)
I grow this wonderful vegetable every year and use it in borecole, a dutch dish that Brenda has already mentioned. This is served with either smoked sausage or my favourite which is side pork, cooked to a crisp and used as a "spoon" to eat the potatoe mixture.
A great salad can be had with kale, sorrel, and a lemon based dressing.
The kale here is harvested until after Christmas, with just a covering of straw to protect against the elements, but also stores well in the cool root cellar
orchidguy

Postby OGrubber » Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am

kale can also be substituted in any recipe calling for spinach or swiss chard.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 13, 2012 11:57 am

You are so lucky to have edible Kale, Mygrandmeresgarden.

My grandson has a large bearded dragon lizard and he loves Kale. When I grew some kale for the dragon, those white butterflies that flit around the gardens all of the time layed eggs on the kale. The eggs hatched and then those catterpillars had a feast leaving skeleton leaves.

Those caterpillars are the same colour as the leaves so they are hard to find.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby belinda_mayer » Jul 13, 2012 10:49 pm

I eat my Kale as part of my morning smoothie. But i do have another caterpillar invasion this year. I even built screened boxes to keep them out...didnt work.
belinda_mayer

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 15, 2012 8:46 am

orchidguy wrote:Diane.
as Brenda has stated, kale is great in a stir fry, soups, but is also great as a steamed veggie and a pseudo cole slaw (I use a heated dressing for it)
I grow this wonderful vegetable every year and use it in borecole, a dutch dish that Brenda has already mentioned. This is served with either smoked sausage or my favourite which is side pork, cooked to a crisp and used as a "spoon" to eat the potatoe mixture.
A great salad can be had with kale, sorrel, and a lemon based dressing.
The kale here is harvested until after Christmas, with just a covering of straw to protect against the elements, but also stores well in the cool root cellar

Thanks Dan, I will try some of your suggestions!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am

CdnChelsea wrote:
You are so lucky to have edible Kale, Mygrandmeresgarden.

My grandson has a large bearded dragon lizard and he loves Kale. When I grew some kale for the dragon, those white butterflies that flit around the gardens all of the time layed eggs on the kale. The eggs hatched and then those caterpillars had a feast leaving skeleton leaves.

Those caterpillars are the same color as the leaves so they are hard to find.

We have those here too, if you didn't have the lizard, I would say to powder with a natural pesticide that contains rotonone (sp?). I believe you can eat the veggie after three days. It should be labeled on the can when you can eat the crop after its been treated.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 15, 2012 8:50 am

belinda_mayer wrote:I eat my Kale as part of my morning smoothie. But i do have another caterpillar invasion this year. I even built screened boxes to keep them out...didnt work.

I'll try that, thanks!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening