Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Lily Replacement Idea's, etc. for my Gardens

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Lily Replacement Idea's, etc. for my Gardens

Postby HeelsDown » Jul 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Hello everyone!

Well, it’s official. I pulled out my lilies on the weekend. It was a shame as they were really pretty, especially the yellow ones, but I found more adults on them and just couldn’t rally myself for the next cycle especially since they were done blooming anyhow.

I’ve been doing some research on replacement plants – used some ideas given in my previous thread, looked at some stores and from some other forums I’m on. I’d really appreciate any feedback on my ideas especially if they have any pests that I should be aware of or any toxic properties (I have cats). I want easy to maintain, pretty plants to work with.

Pictures to refer to:
https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Pi ... directlink

Evolution Salvia• Really like the colour of this flower. The tag I “borrowed” from the store says part sun, but the online information says full? I’m really not sure where to put it now that I’ve read about it. It was my #1 replacement pick since it was about the same size of the lilies I’m replacing. However, it doesn’t seem to be a real perennial for zone 5 so I think I’d have to re-plant ever year? My other concern is that I if I did buy it, I’d put it under/around the wooden arbour. Would that be too much height since it would be growing next to phlox?

May Night Salvia• Another pretty flower and works for my zone. If the Evolution isn’t the best choice, I could put this by the arbour since it’s the right height and bloom season if I’m replacing lilies with it, and would get enough sun. It says to plant with pomegranate yarrow for a nice complement. Both do-able in that area I think.

White Bleeding Heart• I had no idea there were white bleeding hearts or species of this flower that would last longer than the spring! For location, I’m thinking around the walkway, and down both sides of the house where I get a lot of shade. I thought maybe a gold heart would be nice since it would give the red/yellow tones many of you mentioned would complement my brick colour. I do have some bleeding hearts already (pink ones), but they finished blooming before I took any pictures of the yard. They live under the wooden arbour and a few by the grafted tree along the right side of the house. Maybe ivory hearts or burning hearts too?

Astilbe• I’m glad someone recommended this flower! Wow, how perfect for my shady area’s! Rather than putting any in the middle garden, I think I’ll put these around the sides of the house and the front garden area’s b/c that’s where all the shade is and there is NO colour right now. Some of the ones I liked were Red Sentinel, Sprite, Burgandy Red, White Gloria, Purple Candles, Fanal, Granat, and Shining Light. Wonderful!

Creeping Phlox
• I like this groundcover – could it grow in the barrels by my front walkway? I currently have impatiens in them, but I really don’t like them. Most of the time they are a shriveled mess. Bah! (Yes, I water them lol!) If not, I think I’ll just go with easy peasy pansies or something there next year.

Acanthus Spinosus – Bear’s Breeches
• Something that does good in shade, so was thinking that I could put one or two of these around my Norway Spruce by the little front walkway (Steven Awesome side). I would plant everything else first and see if there was room left though.

False Indigo/Twilite Praireblue• Beautiful flowers! I saw False Indigo at a garden store in the spring, but read Full Sun. Now that my lilies are gone, I would have room for it (if I didn’t plant the salvia of course). It grows kind of big so again, my concern would be the height being right beside my phlox. Maybe something to plant around our deck when we replace it instead?

If, after any or all of these go in and I have room left after things have spread, I thought a good filler would be Celosia? It’s an annual so would be easy to put in where it was needed.

Still don’t know what to put in the front corners of the house – trimming tree’s may not have lightened the area up enough for Mop Golden Cypress, so leaving that area until next year.

Gee…stupid beetle! I really thought I was done planning every spot and now looks like my time is not done at the garden store yet! LOL!

Thanks so much everyone (sorry for the length of the post!)!!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Lily Replacement Idea's, etc. for my Gardens

Postby HeelsDown » Jul 12, 2012 1:28 pm

LOL okay so that was a lot of info to digest...I've thought about it myself a bit and think I went a bit overboard. :lol:

When I was out last night taking the last of my lillies out of the front garden (up to now had no beetles, then found a breeding pair on 'em...ugh), I realized that the garden actually looks fine without the lillies. Everything I planted over the past year has now started to fill in, so I think I will leave it as it for now.

The only thing I'm going to purchase is the astilbe for around the front and sides to give some colour to those areas. If I buy anything to replace the lillies, I'll likely go with Salvia. It's the prettiest. Do some research for bugs online first and away we go.

I had some lavender in the wrong place so moved that under the wooden arbour we have so it gets more sun. There is a house in a nearby town that has two bunches of lavender and it must get to at least 3-4 ft high with pretty purple flowers. I envy that. lol! Will have to stop and ask her how she got it so big and how old it is.

So, so ends the lily saga. It was a good run lol!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 17, 2012 8:11 am

Jenn,
Sorry the lily bugs gave you that much grief. I like your choices, I just planted an Astilbe plant last year and it's just starting to bloom. I love it, it's so delicate. I've seen a white bleeding heart but I prefer the pink ones like my grandmother had.

Wishing you a bug free flower garden!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby conniepr » Jul 21, 2012 9:39 am

I have a pink astlbe blooming right now too and just love it. One thing I learned buying astlbe is to watch for size and shape. I bought two that stay no bigger than 1 ft sq but thick and the flowers don't come up until very late in the summer. So, I recommend you check the labels on the plants before you buy to make sure you get what you want. You might want the smaller compact ones, or a different blooming time.
conniepr

Postby conniepr » Jul 21, 2012 9:41 am

To clarify, the astlbe that I love is the taller one that blooms at least a month earlier than the two more compact ones.
conniepr

Postby mebbie » Jul 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi...The pink Bleeding Heart goes dormant after bloom and disappears. I'm not sure, but the white may do the same. Your plans ,and the fun I see between the lines ,
must be lovely. My Astilbe, granted an old one, burned badly in this Ontario heat.
I water it every day- I think it's a drinker. The other in a shadier spot is happy.
mebbie

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks guys!

I actually went looking for astilbe about two weekends ago and couldn't find any! I have learned that there is a reason one buys their perennials back around May...that's kind of the only time they are around. Noted for this coming spring that's for sure.

Struggling to find anything on this list except for the Salvia Evolution - bought two of those that are on my walkway at the moment until it's not so hot and then I will plant them.

Now I really see why people share and buy online. At least I'm ready for the fun and planting season next year!! Ha!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby AdamB » Aug 10, 2012 5:11 am

Is that your garden shed at the back? :)
AdamB

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Ha! I wish...then I could take it down!!
;-)
HeelsDown

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas