Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

For Lynne.

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

For Lynne.

Postby agedgardener2 » Jul 16, 2012 3:28 pm

How many years ago did we get Exploding Pumpkin day lily from Veyseys ? All these years I've waited and babied this plant.This year it finally bloomed.It was supposed to be a double and a very large bloom. This is what I got on a small plant the size of a Stella. Joy
Attachments
exploding Pimpkin.JPG
agedgardener2

Re: For Lynne.

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 16, 2012 3:46 pm

How terribly disappointing. It makes me angry when a plant is mis-labeled or the plant does not perform the way it has been represented. On the upside, it is a pretty lily.

I have some lilies whose colour is a faded version of the picture on the label. What a disappointment.
I did keep them so they are growing and blooming quite nicely under some ornamental grasses.
Oh well.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Eeyore » Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm still waiting for my Exploding Pumpkin to do something. I think this is year 3 and it still has no scapes. Sometimes doubles don't show up as doubles, especially when young. I wouldn't give up on it yet although it certainly isn't showing the colours it was advertized as.

Actually, just looking at photos on the net and I don't think that is Exploded Pumpkin Joy. None of the photos show the yellow center. That is most annoying, after waiting so long for it to finally do something to find out it is the wrong plant!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby agedgardener2 » Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

I think I'll send to Veyses.I know they won't do anything but I will tell them I posted on a gardening forum.They should pay more attention to their products as much as they do to their catalog. Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Eeyore » Jul 17, 2012 10:57 am

I know there are a lot of people who will not order from Vesey's any more and I am one of them. I have a bunch of daylilies that came in a mixed package three years ago. This year they are finally large enough to produce scapes. I had to have that package replaced since the original package contained next to no roots. Also ordered mixed coneflowers at the same time. Again, next to nothing in the package and what was there did not survive.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Eeyore » Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Joy - just looking at Breck's website and I believe this may be "Always Afternoon".
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Jul 19, 2012 8:30 am

Always afternoon is more mauve-y.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm

It is but I'm giving Joy leeway for colour misrepresentation caused by the camera. :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 19, 2012 12:24 pm

It's for this reason why I try to buy daylilies in-bloom, and from reputable nurseries. Also, I will never buy a bag of mixed plants of any kind because they are always the cheap crappy stuff that you can't even give away (and more often than not, they are aggressive spreaders too).
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Black Dahlia » Jul 20, 2012 12:39 am

Either way it's very pretty!
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Next

Return to Garden Gallery