Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Irrigation Pump

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Irrigation Pump

Postby Marion » Jul 17, 2012 6:05 pm

After some frustrations with the sun exposure to my backyard garden here on my 1/2 acre space, I've had the opportunity to plant a large garden on borrowed space with great sunlight. We are using a 400 gallon storage tank to gravity feed the garden. Up to now, there's not been much need of extra water. However, we are in a bit of a dry spell and I've been researching methods of getting water to my garden.

Do any of you have knowledge/expertise with pumps/water supply systems. There is a spring at about 300' from the garden? I'm estimating that the elevation may be about 8-10'.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Re: Irrigation Pump

Postby Eeyore » Jul 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Can you route the spring water to your storage facility or is it downhill from there? I'm afraid I don't know much about such systems but I wonder if you could use a lock type system which would gradually raise the water level over that distance....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm

You could run power down to the spring and use a small farm water system pump to pump the water up to your storage tank . A small 1/2 hp jet pump would work.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I wonder if some of those drip hoses that "sweat" could be placed beside your plants and then hook up a garden hose to your tank and let gravity do the rest???
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Marion » Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

My garden and tank are up 10' -15' above the spring level. The tank is on the upper part of the slope of my garden sitting on a trailer. That helps give a bit more elevation. I tore up most of the old soaker hoses from my perennial beds (never used them much for the perennials) and they have been re-purposed in the vegetable garden. The rows of my upper garden are 80' long. I also have some 50' rows on the lower end for spreading plants like cukes, sweet potatoes and squash.

The other night we tried a very old pump (ran power cord from the barn), the pump could not get the water up the small rise next to the spring. The pump will pump water from the spring to the tank when parked right next to the spring. For now, it's better than hand filling the tank. Eventually, we would like to figure out what kind of pump would be the best choice for pumping the water over the distance of 300' when the tank is parked in the garden.

With regards to gravity feeding. The big tank is working quite well once we get it filled. The slope of the garden is not steep. I attached a 5/8", 100' hose to the tank and from the bottom of my long rows filled a watering can to time the flow. It puts out 2 gallons a minute. Besides the soaker hose on several of my rows, I have 32 tomato plants set up on a 1/2" irrigation line with pressure compensating drippers. They are also working quite well to water the tomatoes. We haven't had a good soaking rain for almost 4 weeks. The garden is very thirsty.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I see you have it under control. I have a 1200 gallon tank next to the house with the eaves trough running into it. I am down to a third of it left and have been watering sparingly. We haven't had a good rain either in over a month. So we are praying for rain too! The garden is too nice to let it go!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas