Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

help diagnosing the plant's disease needed

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

help diagnosing the plant's disease needed

Postby karalyte » Jul 06, 2012 3:38 pm

flower2.JPG
just behind one can see the new leaves that were forming, but now they stopped to grow :(
Hello
Something has happened to our house plant... its leaves suddenly started becoming yellow - and very quickly the whole plant is becoming so. Just a month ago it was slowly having new leaves and then it stopped... the new leaves which have formed have stopped growing as well...

In our previous apartment where this plant was really blossoming it was much less light. Right now, we have a lot of sun but I tried to move the plant into the area where there is little sun but it does not seem to help...

Would anyone be able to help me with this? Would be so sad to loose this plant...

Thank you!
All the best
Egle
Attachments
flower1.JPG
the leavings are getting yellow and even seem like burnt
karalyte

Re: help diagnosing the plant's disease needed

Postby Dumbo » Jul 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Did you add anything that we could maybe look into? Even a soil change?

I know that type of plant will be killed if you put any of those insecticidal soaps on it. So never use that on these type of plants.

These soaps will cause exactly what we are looking at here. If you did this, then toss the plant in your shower or back yard and clean the leaves as much as possible, and wait to see what happens.

Is it possible that where you have this plant that maybe some window is magnifying the sun and the plant is burning? Can you place it somewhere else? Or further back from any window?

That's the only info I can input into this one. Maybe someone else will jump in.

EDIT:
you said you moved it, so it's not the sun.

Have you added any fertilizer? If not, you can maybe give that a try. Tropical plants like this tend to want fertilizer in the summer.

BTW, do you have the name of this plant?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 18, 2012 12:32 am

It looks like an avocado plant to me, Marc.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 18, 2012 12:51 am

Same info goes for this.
Insecticidal soaps should be ignored, unless you want to try one leaf and see what happens to it after a week or two. May yellow (the symptom we currently see), then dry up and fall off after 2-3 weeks. Sometimes a month later. Takes a shower to clean it off.

Deficiency. These plants like their fertilizer when it's due. From spring up until fall. Lack of iron, zinc or copper. In other words, lack of certain trace elements which this plant shows signs of.

Over-watering will also cause it, of course. I'm not betting on this one being a disease, but i'm most often wrong :p

http://web.archive.org/web/200804231841 ... vocado.asp

But it doesn't matter, the person hasn't come back in about 2 weeks.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Indoor Plants