Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cucumber. What to do with them?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Cucumber. What to do with them?

Postby Dumbo » Jul 13, 2012 10:57 pm

K, so I made this cucumber Tadzhiki (sp) thing. Donna is not allowed to read this. Wife bought a new food processor thing and was the first time I used it. So after straining 1000-ml of greek yogurt for 6-hrs, adding what has to be added. I tossed it all in this new food processor w/ cukes. After it was done. I pull it off the machine and said to myself, "damn the base of this is big, bet it unscrews. So I unscrewed it..... 1-L of tadzhiki (sp) spilled on my socks and in every crevice and nook and cranny from the counter top to the grout on the floor and walls.

I now know how the new food processor works :/

Damn Donna.

Wife said it smelled great though. Will try again.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 14, 2012 12:21 am

Tee hee.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Marion » Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Freeze them! Yes, you heard me right :-). However, you have to have a particular use for them if you do decide to freeze them. Some background required perhaps...

I've not always been so good at getting enough veggies. I frequently do not have much appetite for cooked vegetables. One year, I discovered a great green smoothie. I know, it may sound gross...but check it out. It may take a few attempts to get a flavour and texture to your liking.

First I'll suggest the basics of the recipe, then I'll fill you in on how I freeze them.

For me, the basic smoothie requires between 1/2 cup to a cup of grapes. (I freeze them also when I find them at a good price). I throw frozen or fresh grapes into the blender, and add about a cup of water..if frozen, I may want the water to be tepid as opposed to cold. I throw in about 1/2 cucumber, a stalk of celery, one or two fistfuls of spinach. (if I don't have spinach, I use lettuce, but then it needs a few leaves of other greens to add a bit of bite...mache, tatsoi, etc. ). A half of a raw beet adds good earthy flavour... be careful to not use more than about 1/2 beet for 2 people. It's easy to overdo the beet to the extent that it's not healthy. You have to experiment to get it so the texture is smooth and the flavour balanced. Do not let it sit, drink it right away. When it sits, the fibre floats to the top and it's not so inviting.
I've offered it to young children, and if you get a good balance, they may find it quite palatable.

Now, for the frozen cukes. Peel them, cut them in two and then in spears of 1/2 or 1/4 depending on size. Throw them into a zip lock bag letting out the air. Once frozen, you can usually break them apart quite easily to get the 2 or 3 spears you need for a recipe.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby Dumbo » Jul 18, 2012 1:05 am

Freezing? You serious? Everything I read said it will be a gooey useless mush. From what I understand the cell walls are just too full of water. When it freezes it ruptures the cells turning into a mush.

Read you can only freeze them in vinegar or brine.

You sure about this?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Marion » Jul 18, 2012 5:39 am

Yup...Thing is, you must use them in the frozen form. If you let them thaw they go to a bit of a mush. The spears break apart in the frozen form, and, for a smoothie, just like you use a frozen yogurt to give it a thickness, the cukes give it the nice, firm texture.

Throw a couple in the feezer now...peel and quarter them lengthwise. Tomorrow, take out half of it and try a smoothie.Don't forget some grapes. If you don't have grapes, add 1/2 c of orange juice. It's not bad with OJ, but grapes are the best.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby Eeyore » Jul 18, 2012 12:50 pm

LMAO at the Tzatziki story Marc! Tzatziki is really yummy and is great on a sandwich (pita is best) with grilled chicken and veggies.

You could make sour cream dill cucumber salad..... yummy side dish.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Well I am in the middle of doing it again. Have a bunch of people coming over this evening for a few days so figured I would try it again.

Just taking a coffee break before I toss it all in the freaking blender thingie again. This time I will question nothing and unscrew nothing :/

Following this recipe:
http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/07/wo ... greek.html
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm

The recipe above is blah.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Dumbo wrote:The recipe above is blah.

I hate blah! My husband hates blah! My children hate blah! .... so I will not be using that recipe! lol

But I will be making something similar soon - one of the key things to do when making anything new is to taste, taste, taste, and add, adjust, tweak!

I almost always find that a little hot sauce, or a little chili pepper, or lemon juice, or hot and/or smoked paprika, or extra black pepper, improves most things!

I've got some Greek yoghurt in the fridge, so will sort through some recipes and see what I come up with.

Maybe Dan will see this - I'm pretty sure he has a good recipe. He's a whiz with food and spices.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jul 19, 2012 3:23 pm

It needs WAY more garlic! One clove for 3 cups yogurt? I don't think so. I'd say at least 3 and possibly more dill as well...
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening