Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

[POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Should front yard gardens be illegal?

Yes, it affects property value.
6%
No.
94%
Undecided.
No votes

Total votes : 16

[POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Postby Dumbo » Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am

This hardened criminal has been in the news here in Quebec for a little while with his illegal garden.

illegal-garden.jpg
See: http://rogerdoiron.com/

Think someone else was busted earlier in the year in Ontario as well, going by memory (which isn't great) some widow growing tomatoes in her front yard.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: [POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Postby OGrubber » Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am

There have been quite a few instances in various cities throughout north america in the last little while.
There are a lot of stupid by-laws restricting what can and can't go on a front lawn. Some places have height restrictions on shrubbery, some with minimum lawn areas, some actually have a list of the only plants/trees/shrubs that are "allowed".

What gets me, is that the city ordinance guys aren't driving around looking for these "criminals". Someone actually had to report a complaint.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am

I can see bylaws not allowing anything that blocks sightlines along a road that blocks safe passage of a motor vehicle but some of the bylaws are ridiculous. I especially dislike restrictive covenants on new developments that govern everthing from the size of the house to the colour of the siding. I wonder if this garden would have caused such a furor if had been perennials, shrubs or annuals? It's very neatly kept and well maintained, better than some "lawns".
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 19, 2012 12:11 pm

If it's maintained and looks decent, I don't see a problem with having something different than lawn in the front yard. The key is to maintain it.

My next door neighbours finally hired a lawn service to cut their grass and clean up their yard. Unfortunately, these college kids don't know a thing about gardening and are put in a situation where they have to make decisions about what's a weed and what isn't. I noticed that they took the weedwacker to the perennial bed (you could no longer tell what was a weed and what was a good plant). What a pity...it had been so lovingly tended to by the last neighbours.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm

What about those 'front' gardens that are turned into a parking lot for 4 or 5 cars?
What about those 'front' gardens whose 'feature' is a motorhome?
What about those 'front' gardens and 'porches' that are filled with old washing machines, fridges, tyres, and other broken machinery?
What about those 'front' gardens whose owners never mow or trim, or do anything at all?

I'm not sure that putting a vegetable garden on the front is the best place, (think of all the thievery!), but I would certainly prefer to see this lovely well-kept veggie garden on the front than any of the above!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby styric » Jul 19, 2012 1:06 pm

My vegetable gardens are in the front, it's the only place where I have enough sunlight. The back yard is dappled shade. I plant flowers mixed in with the vegetables to attract bees, but I assure you I have 7 foot tomatoes in a 2 foot raised bed beside my fence. It may look odd, but it's my yard, and I weed it.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

What Brenda said.

Here is a front garden in Alliston ON.

P1020585 sm.jpg

Here is the boulevard @ the same house.

P1100985sm.jpg
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby kelly_m » Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm

And I echo Ron's What Brenda said!

That is a beautifully landscaped front garden!

Some bylaws truly suck...how about the one that doesn't allow clotheslines!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby mebbie » Jul 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Thankfully, here in Kitchener there are many front yard gardens. As people see and enjoy them more appear. When I walk my dogs those gardens are a joy. Grass? That's just a waste of water and potential beauty. In fact, there is a programme here where the post office carriers vote for the best. The winning gardens are then on a garden tour. That really inspires people to get rid of those big, ugly stretches of grass.
Isn't that veggie garden beautiful. Who would complain about that. Maybe the neighbour who doesn't get the produce. :shock:
mebbie

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Lazy people tend to be jealous of folk that put forth an effort.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence