Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

[POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Should front yard gardens be illegal?

Yes, it affects property value.
6%
No.
94%
Undecided.
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: [POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Postby kelly_m » Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Very wise words, Ron....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Jul 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah i was looking at Ron's pictures, but that's a regular garden. A lot of people have those.

Some people down the street who live on the slope of the mountain got rid of their grass totally and have rocks, or a mix of what Ron posted + rock, or what Ron posted + mulch. Zero grass.

I mean, that's normal to see.

But the picture of the front yard veggie garden isn't something I ever saw. makes no difference to me though what people do.

But yeah, must have been a grumpy anal neighbour who complained.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Heck when I was a kid in Calgary the norm for a new front yard was to plant potatoes & it was the job of the kids in the family to faithfully hill & weed them but then in those days there were no Blvds, the front yard was fenced & often along the fence line was a row of lilacs. Also being depression era homes the lots were 33 ft. frontage - no such thing a front drive garages. By contrast the house we live in was bought new in 1991. It has a front drive garage(snout design) a refundable $1000 landscaping deposit was required & one tree with a min. caliper size specified. The frontage is 45 ft. no blvd but a 1.5 meter easement for utility access.
Our single spruce tree is now approx 25 ft. high & has a spread of approx 20 ft. which means a small patch of lawn at the front of the tree & a tiny patch of lawn behind the tree towards the house. On top of that I planted a spreading juniper between what was a 6ft. spruce & that juniper has grown to a 20ft. dia. filling the space between the tree & the driveway plus invaded about 6 ft. of the driveway itself. I smile when people ask when I'm going to trim back the juniper & I shock them by saying that some trimming will take place when I can't get the car into the garage. The other side of the driveway has a 4ft. wide strip of lawn & at the top end even with the front of the garage is a huge yellow juniper. If I had surmised that the spreading juniper would do so well I probably would have put nothing but spreading junipers on the tree side of the driveway & no lawn at all.
Given all of that I hafta admit squeezing in a front yard garden instead of lawn doesn't spin my crank. Nor do those people trying to get chickens in the City approved. Nothing smells nicer than chickens on a calm day & +30C heat.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Dumbo » Jul 20, 2012 12:33 am

lol @ the city chickens.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jul 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I would RENT chickens for the garden season just to control the slugs and sow bugs..... That would be a great proposition for some enterprising farmer! Rent chickens for the season and then sell them in the fall/winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Jul 21, 2012 2:05 am

I put a raised veggie bed in my front yard when we first moved into our place in PG - which got the neighbours talking, but that was because our back yard was seriously shaded at the time by 4 full size aged poplar trees. Eventually I moved the veggie component into the back yard when we mowed down the hated poplars since the space was more suited. There is a guy in our neighbourhood who has his entire front yard in spuds every year.

The only restriction in our town is not planting on the city owned portion of the lot as that is where the snowplows put the road snow and they often manage to rip up the grass in the process - so garden at your own peril!

That being said, our community is not gardening oriented in general. We have lawn Nazis galore, and a few really basic gardens in most areas, except us crazy master gardener types! It is a difficult climate to work in, and so many people seem to get out of town in the summer, so gardening seems to be a non issue in many families.

Stoopid government rules though - that garden is so neat, and appealing (especially to us gardening types) vs. the used car lot approach that no one blinks an eye at. Go figure...
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 21, 2012 9:34 am

There's a guy in California who has taken out his front lawn to use as a vegetable garden. He built huge raised beds and is growing some very unusual fruits and veggies. You can see his garden on Youtube - just look for "growingyourgreens". Not sure if I'd want to be his neighbour, but like I said earlier, it's much preferable to a weed patch.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Just looked at a bit of it on youtube. That isn't a little front yard garden, it's a farm. Appears to go all around his house. BTW, his wife looks hot.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 24, 2012 12:07 am

Update on these people and an update on the laws (no more front yard gardens in some area's for some people):

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Giv ... story.html

blah.jpg
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 24, 2012 7:19 am

We would welcome that over the gaud awful mess we have next door.

Edit to show the mess, remember to click on images.

P1110998.jpg

P1110999.jpg

P1120001.jpg

They showed up @ the door yesterday to announce they would finish the basement & move in for the winter. They said the same thing two years ago.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence