Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

corn

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

corn

Postby mango » Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am

Do I have to pull the tassles off the corn for growth of the corn.

Tracy
mango

Re: corn

Postby kelly_m » Jul 22, 2012 8:38 am

Uh....no.....

But good luck with your corn! If you can, keep it watered...Probably get a better crop than a lot of the farmers in Ontario! LOL

Corn is pretty easy to maintain.....keep it watered and standing upright! Letting it dry out too much will produce thicker skinned corn.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby davefrombc » Jul 22, 2012 10:38 am

The tassels are there to carry the pollen from the top to the kernels on the cob and fertilize them . If the corn kernels are not fertilized , they will not develop.. Each of those tassel threads leads to an individual kernel of corn.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Heidi S » Jul 28, 2012 1:47 am

Hey Dave, thanks for that info - we can't grow corn up here in our short season, so never knew that detail about the tassels - good to know!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby OGrubber » Jul 29, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm confused.
Are we talking tassels or silks?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby davefrombc » Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm

I assumed she meant the silk when she mentioned tassels.. I guess I should clarify my posting on it.. The tassels at the top of the corn stalk produce the pollen necessary for the seed development. The tassels on the corn cobs ( properly called the "silk" ) are the ones that accept the pollen and carry the fertilizing genes down to the individual corn kernels. Pollen from the top of the corn must reach the silk to fertilize the kernels so they develop.
Corn should be planted in "blocks" if you are only planting a small amount.
Never plant your corn in a single row. It is too easy for the winds to carry the pollen away from the ears and result in a failed crop with only a few kernels developing on each cob. Corn should be planted in at least 2 or 3 rows; or a block to ensure proper pollination of the ears.
Say you're only going to grow 3 dozen corn plants... Rather than make a row 36 plants long, plant them in a block 6 in a row so you have a 6 x 6 block of corn.
Heidi, corn is iffy up your way , but it is possible. Select the earliest maturing variety you can find and start them indoors or in a greenhouse. Set them out after the soil warms up. As long as you don't get a lousy spring like we had this year you should get a decent crop.
davefrombc

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Aug 05, 2012 10:16 am

I've always grown my corn in short rows and just watered and weeded. I always make sure they are planted in hills about 8 inches apart, 4-5 seeds per hill. I always get great corn!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby davefrombc » Aug 05, 2012 11:30 am

That's much the same as block planting. The main thing is to have the corn grouped so pollination of the cobs is guaranteed by the proximity of the other stalks.Single plant / single row can cause some to not be properly pollinated.
Multiple rows , block planting or clumping like you makes sure the pollen gets to the cobs.
davefrombc

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening