Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Please identify

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Please identify

Postby B_BQ » Jul 21, 2012 3:50 pm

I didn't plant anything that resembled this.
I did plant Golden Zucchini, and wondered if a variation happens occasionally. Is it a zucchini? Do I treat it like a zucchini? It's about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide.
If it's a zucchini then no problem finding something to do with it, but if it's something like a marrow then that would be treated differently I suppose. (My mother would often buy a very large marrow, scoop out the middle, stuff it with fragrant minced cooked pork and roast in the oven).
~BBQ
IMG_2734.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Please identify

Postby Grannygardener » Jul 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Can't help you identify it, but another example of funny stuff that can happen in the compost pile perhaps.If no one can help you ,about all you can do is cut it and taste it then be prepared to deal with it either eating raw or part of a casserole. Somehow the rind reminds me of watermelon.Do let us know. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby B_BQ » Jul 21, 2012 4:07 pm

I never thought of that Edie. Of course I always empty the composter into the veggie garden when it's ready and it's amazing what survives composting!
Will be checking it out later on. I'm doing some poached Atlantic salmon so a little stirfry might be in the works.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 21, 2012 5:38 pm

It's a cross-pollinated thing that you created in your garden.

Let us know how it tastes and if it's seed produces next year.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Well, I sliced into it and it does look like a zucchini, so I treated it like a zucchini.
It didn't have very much taste. I seasoned it with black pepper and lemon and quickly sauteed it in a little olive oil. It was okay.
~BBQ
IMG_2738.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mervyn » Jul 21, 2012 10:18 pm

It's striped Zucchini :) which is a type of Zucchini , could be the seeds you used were mislabeled, or the transplants you bought had a mislabeled plant amongst them.
Mervyn

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 22, 2012 11:57 am

I'm growing Italian striped zucchini this year, so I'll post a picture here to compare it to yours when it produces something.

I only have two zucchini plants growing this year, one regular and this striped one. The striped one was severely set back by winds and it isn't nearly as large as the regular one.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 22, 2012 2:34 pm

I had squash from the compost pile that had seeds and they (seeds) survived the winter and grew this spring. I have baby squash that are half yellow and half green...not sure what they look like inside. So maybe this happened in your garden?
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby OGrubber » Jul 24, 2012 8:26 am

It looks like a marrow to me Brenda.
They can be eaten at any stage just as you would a zuke - it's all about taste and preference. How it got there? Who knows. Could have been a stray seed in your packet of yellows, or from the compost....
Donna, if your striped italian is a romanesco type, it should have slight ridges with paler colouring and a squarish stem end. Love the flavour of the romanescos, personally speaking.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening