Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

It's raining

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

It's raining

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 23, 2012 4:42 pm

It's raining, it's pouring
The old man is snoring
He went to bed and he bumped his head
And couldn't get up in the morning

A lovely storm just went through the Ottawa area, rain,hail,lightning,thunder, power went off a couple of times. Temp dropped from 36c and humidex of 41c to 21c and humidex of 28c
mike in Ottawa

Re: It's raining

Postby ben01 » Jul 23, 2012 6:31 pm

What is this "rain" of which you speak?

Actually - we just had a bit of a thunderstorm yesterday north of Toronto. Another was forecasted for today but it looks like it won't happen.
ben01

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

well it got a little more interesting during the storm as one bolt of lightning seemed to be very close, just went outside and found tree bark all over the place and then saw one of our trees was hit and skinned one side of the ree and split it 3/4 of the way up luckily it did'nt come down or it would have either ended in the pool or taken out part of the fence.
Guess i will be calling a tree remover tomorrow.

mike in Ottawa

Postby Dumbo » Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Yup. Half inch hail here. Came down hard. Wonder how fast/strong the wind was?

Patio table umbrella was open.. found the umbrella in the driveway just in time before it wondered off on it's own in this lonely world. Not sure if the patio table is now broken. It's upside down. Will check it out later or tomorrow.

A couple of blocks down a tree came down on some guys car. He was holding his head making funny faces.

Not sure if any plants are damaged... One basket of strawberries was flipped over, but I put that back together.

And yeah.. it got cold real fast!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Nasty! But rain - I'm having a problem remembering what rain feels like! Living on the northern edge of the Bay of Quinte so much seems to miss us. It seems to go to either the north or south of us. My next-door-neighbour was telling me today that she has decided to stop watering her lawns but will instead concentrate on her perennial beds and annuals. We do have a sprinkler system, which comes on in the dead of night, but the ground is so parched here that no amount of sprinkling is making much difference.
It got dark there for a minute, (7.40 pm), but it's already getting brighter, so whatever system is around that might produce some rain seems to be missing us again.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » Jul 23, 2012 9:18 pm

We had big fat drops pour down on us for about 2 and a half minutes tonight at DD's Ball game....got soaked, it was lovely. temps droped a bit but not much.

Got absolutely NOTHING at home a mere 10 kms away......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Jul 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Another storm is starting as I type this...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Jul 23, 2012 9:59 pm

jealous
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Peggy2296 » Jul 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Saturday night we had about 9 drops of rain, and today a few drops as I was watering. I ignored it, silently singing, "It never rains in California" (or QC lately - to the point that my small trees were starting to wilt.)

Now it's been raining for hours. Just had a crack of thunder so loud I think it scared my tropical fish. Ah, but the sound of the rain is indeed lovely. I had almost forgotten that sound.
This kind of rain really make you realize how pathetic our hoses and sprinklers are. I"m sure everyone's bright yellow grass will emerge green again!

To anyone getting hail, high winds and other nasties, stay safe and I hope the damage will be minor.
Peggy2296

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Currently under a severe storm watch, it's lightening with lots of thunder and smells like rain...hopefully it will open up soon! Dry as a bone here.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Next

Return to Plant Talk