Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

[POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Should front yard gardens be illegal?

Yes, it affects property value.
6%
No.
94%
Undecided.
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: [POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Postby OGrubber » Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I was going to ask, but from the pics it looks like there hasn't been much [if any!] progress since the last update, what - a year ago?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Ron Evers » Jul 24, 2012 2:19 pm

OGrubber wrote:I was going to ask, but from the pics it looks like there hasn't been much [if any!] progress since the last update, what - a year ago?

Nothing on the house has changed in two years. They did dig two moats two years ago, one for a pipe from the well & one for hydro that are still not back-filled. :x
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Eeyore » Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Ron - you need a Cedar Hedge..... That is disgusting.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 25, 2012 12:26 am

If the soil is natually damp back there a cedar hedge would indeed be nice. However if it is an area natually dry madam caragana would love to swish her skirts at the slightest breeze in a location like that.

Lee

PS I suspect Ron that you are alike to myself when people start something & it drags on & on with no sign of an end that it can become irritating.
LeeInEdmonton

Postby davefrombc » Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I saw the Landry's front lawn garden made the Global national news tonight. I hope the town council starts getting heat from right across the country now since it isn't just garden forums that know of the battle with the bureaucrats .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuCdnT ... r_embedded

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=e ... 2ykxE&NR=1

Pics from their webpage:
http://www.lepotagerurbain.com/p/notre- ... hotos.html

They seem to have 14,000+ signatures ready to submit to their city, per their webpage/petition. heh
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Update:

Front yard gardener wins over officials with petition
http://boingboing.net/2012/08/23/front- ... -over.html

Mark recently wrote about a fantastic front yard veggie garden in Drummondville, Quebec, which local officials wanted destroyed. Alejandro De La Cruz writes to say that they've backed down: not only will the garden stay, but the town publicly announced that it will implement new guidelines which explicitly permit it.

Drummondville town officials announced the decision [Ed note: Link is in French, http://www.lanouvelle.net/Societe/Le-Re ... adrement/1] this week during a special session of the Municipal Council to discuss the case. The decision could create a ripple effect in other cities worldwide as zoning laws are a constant debate in urban environments. Roger told us, “The Drummondville case was one of the highest profile examples of a local municipality challenging the right to grow food in one’s own yard. While it took place in Canada, it quickly attracted international media attention because of the garden’s beauty and productivity. The win is significant because it helps establish a precedent that other urban and suburban gardeners can refer to when similar challenges arise in other parts of the world.”
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm

YEAH!!!!!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 9:21 am

I didn't think this guy would win. I'm surprised.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

I think if it was just him and his municipality, ya...didn't think he would win either.

But the public outcry...locally, nationally and internationally made the diffference.

Do you think drummondville did it for the property owner tho? No chnce in hell..they did it to save face. But in the instance the ends justifies the means, cause it is worth it if it means changes in the stupidest bylaws ever.

Now if only someone would do something about the clothesline bylaw in some municipalities......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence