Feedback - Gardening Forums

Safari and the forum

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Re: Safari and the forum

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Ron:
Yup that is an issues with photobucket and phpBB.

The "cropping" of the image will *only* happen when you link a photobucket image here. Otherwise it's good.

In regards to the issues you have, it just sounds like regular bloat caused by windows browsers. You can clean this bloat/garbage out with this free and good utility, Ccleaner, http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner (click download latest version on the upper right)

Donna:
Yup.
They are pushing down usage limits on slower tiers making you pay more for usage, or they are giving you more usage on faster tiers causing you to pay more in monthly fee's and modem upgrades (as applicable).

I was involved with many CRTC hearings. My wife and I were the ones who kicked off the "throttle hearings" and lawsuits against Bell. I believe there are now 3 class actions against Bell, one against videotron. Cogeco came close. Not sure what happened there.

The thing is, the Harper government is also deeply involved in this. Making sure the monopoly stays as is, and giving only little token consumer advantages here and there.

Why? Shareholder value was the reason given.

I can tell you some things... ;)

I Never got involved with Sasktel though. Sasktel just wanted to keep their monopoly and force people who have internet with them to also be forced to keep TV with them. Sasktel (I believe it was them) said otherwise it would be a "consumer apocalypse" having to share internet with one provider and TV with them).

They are no different than the rest of the monopolies. But a little more open and honest.

Shaw backed off when the consumer backlash was happening to make it appear they are consumer orientated. But otherwise they are rolling monopolistic price increase across the board just as well, but in a slower pace than the rest of them.

Shaw even has policies which aren't even legal in Canada, yet use these as intimidation upon their beloved customers. This is another lawsuit waiting to happen...

So much I can say about each. Pages and pages.

It's a state sponsored cartel as a whole.

OGrubber:
I have an friend who owns an ISP so I shot the question at him for your area he said these people are very decent, if you have coverage. He had no other recomendation that he said would be worth it.
http://www.optionsdsl.ca/
If you are in a dead zone, which happens often in rural area's, then you are either out of signal reach, or require a more elaborate and costly setup with roof-top tripods or a little tower next to the house. ($300+ extra, one time set-up fee)

In many cases they will even pay you to put up a relay on your land. You need to talk with them, if that interests you.

Anyhooo, just something that may or may not work in your area.

BBQ:
Safari for Mac has had some very major bugs and pitfalls. It's all in having the very latest updates and cleaning the garbage out. The link to that free utility should clean out the garbage, and then you have to start looking at version numbers. Otherwise, it works.

Iphone, Ipad, Ipod users:
Safari for iOS (iphone, ipod, ipad) is pretty hopeless. But it works. If it's not working for you, then yes, something is not right on your end. Be it corruption of some dumb cookie or other. It works.

But, it's slow as hell and will indeed lack many features that other can do. For example, iOS won't let you upload pictures properly. You must use the photobucket app then embed the link in your post here for it to show.

So for example, even if Kat managed to finally get on this forum with her iPad, posting images directly wouldn't happen. This is purely the fault of Apple. You would have to use the photobucket app.

However, all these iOS users (ipod, ipad, iPhone users) could install Opera for iOS, which is free and just stop using the broken iOS safari. But for some reason these people prefer punishment and aggravation.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/opera-mi ... 29560?mt=8

There are ways to make it work. You have to make it work. And you have to realize that what you bought is very much broken out of the box. It might be fun and nice, but apple purposely made it so you can't do certain things with it. They want you at their App store.

This is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this forum.
EDIT:
Well nothing wrong with it following regular standards.

@Eeyore,
did they try to make a brand new account? If so, what happens?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Joy tried to make a new account with her same name and was told that she couldn't.... I really haven't had time to chat with her and see if I can get her sorted out. The paying job gets in the way.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Damn those employers. You need to get a better job that lets you play.

EDIT:
yeah she would have to use a diff name, obviously.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Just an FYI

Apple released Safari update 6.0 today. For those of you who can support this, you should do the 6.0 update.

PC-Safari has now ended. No more releases. No more support. So that means if anyone is running Safari for the PC (which, let's be honest here, you shouldn't be), you should uninstall it since it's no longer supported, a product dead-end, and you should now use something else.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 25, 2012 10:55 pm

On ipod now with Opera

It is much much faster than Safari

worth trying if you have the 2minutes to play

Kat should try it, it would work
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 26, 2012 8:52 am

Dumbo wrote:On ipod now with Opera
It is much much faster than Safari
worth trying if you have the 2minutes to play

I may have a couple of spare minutes today!
I'll check out Opera and look into putting it on both the iPad and iPhone.
It's a real pain to be somewhere else in the house, or out of the house, hear an email come in, see that's its a notey from the forum, which I'd like to reply to, and have to go into the office, open up Firefox, and reply to it from there.

I'm going to give my daughter a heads up on this thread. She doesn't come on very often, but I'm sure that for her own edification she'd like to check out some of your suggestions.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Jul 26, 2012 9:52 am

Marc, Thanks for that link. It looks very promising. I'll have to see at season's end how the budget stands.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm

BBQ,

When you get to putz with your ipod or other, be sure to check the version number of the OS (settings--> About).

We have 3 ipods here and the one I tossed Opera on is not up to date with the latest and greatest. Version 4.2.1. I think there is a newer iOS now. But it works.

There are even older OS's for the ipod/ipad where it even prevented people from logging into places. But this OS is like from 2008 or something. So yeah, the possibility does exist that some people have very old OS's (pre-iOS) that is the issue. With these older OS's the white screen on login was a symptom... like what Kat described.

Again, this is nothing to do with CG or the forum.

EDIT:
OGrubber, Depends on what kind of "dead zone" you are in. It could be a Line-of-sight issue, or signal issue.

I see they have no contracts, and the price isn't out of this world. So that's always a plus. But with wireless you will have the initial equipment investment. That is a given with this type of service.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the owner drove out to your place himself to check the signal. And with the little guy, like this, you aren't going to get the run-around...

I tried to find out who the owner is and i know him (not personally) from CRTC filings and brain storming sessions prior to filing. He fights the good fight. Local guys like this is what is supporting your community in terms of connectivity. Then Bell and Telus will roll in eventually, pull regulatory shenanigans and put him under like they did in Bruce county and all the wireless (WISPs)providers there, triple the cost and started charging B/W usage leaving people there with bills in the hundreds and multi-year contracts. Interesting, I didn't know I knew the guy. Very good guy. Yup, this is the type of person/service I would support. But, be aware, Bell and Telus will eventually put him under when they roll in.

EDIT 2:
you really are in a dead zone. But hopefully relays have been put up and you could be lucky.
eek.jpg
all around you. Except for you.
eek.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Sad isn't it? "They" can send/recieve a signal to/from Mars....
Although, this co's coverage map indicates there is hope for me, and an independant is the way to go for sure..
I will definately be checking into it. Thanks again.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby skwij » Nov 04, 2012 11:29 am

Here goes.
Posting this via Chrome for iPhone/iPad. Seems to be working !

Another one to try would be Mercury browser which is also available from the App Store. I installed directly through the phone not via iTunes.
skwij

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback