Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Dictamis Gas Plant

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Dictamis Gas Plant

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Jul 25, 2012 8:13 pm

If you remove all the spikes of flowers will there be more that will appear or is that all there is after the first flush of flowers.
Do you use the same fertilizer as other perennials such as Miracle Grow.
Can this plant be moved or divided after a few years?
If not how can you produce other plants.
Attachments
IMG_0241.jpg
Sandy Zone 3b

Re: Dictamis Gas Plant

Postby Eeyore » Jul 25, 2012 8:21 pm

This plant does NOT like to be moved once it is established and apparently (from what I have read) should not be divided. However if you have young seedllings those can be moved. Smitty sent me some from her plant and it is now growing. :)You can also start new plants from seed. The seed pods are quite pretty.

Dictamnus only produces one flush of flowers and that's it. I prune mine after blooming and it produces a nice little rounded bush. I just use regular Miracle Gro on it. It's a sturdy plant that will stay in your landscape for many years.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Jul 25, 2012 9:04 pm

I had some seeds from the flowers last summer and I just let them stay on the ground around the plant and I was hoping I might see some plants coming this year but that did not happen. Can you start new plants from cuttings?
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Eeyore » Jul 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm not sure Sandy but it would be worth a try.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 26, 2012 12:15 am

From what I remember, gasplant seeds have quite a hard seed coat. I wonder if sowing them in the fall wouldn't help it germinate? With some plants, you need to sow the seeds when they are fresh, not sure whether this is one of them. I guess there's a reason why these plants are a bit more pricey in the nurseries. They are slow to get going, but they sure thrive once they find their sweet spot.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 26, 2012 8:10 am

I am so glad you asked about this plant, Sandy. This fall I was going to move mine to another location but after reading this thread, it will stay where it is.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Aug 09, 2012 11:03 am

I deadheaded it a few weeks ago so now I'll see if anything grows again. Once it's started it is a very nice plant, surviving our winters of very cold temps.
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Smitty » Aug 10, 2012 5:04 am

you won't get more blooms but if you leave it for mother nature to take care of...ie do not dead head it...the seeds take a long time to develop...you will get seedlings...I usually only get one or two a year tho..remember folks to wear gloves when dealing with this plant..you can get a really nasty rash from it...called gas plant for a reason.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Return to Plant Talk