Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby HeelsDown » Jul 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Everyone!

Update on my beautiful Asiatic Lillies - I pulled the suckers out of the ground yesterday. You win beetle! You win, you little orange $*&@Y#@! White flag!

They had been fine for about 3 weeks - eaten from the infestation prior weeks, but nothing new had shown up and the 6 different plantings I had grew nicely for being so eaten and bloomed beautifully! Sooo pretty. Had 4 bunches of red ones and 2 bunches of yellows ones. I really liked the yellow the best. Looking at them yesterday, they had all finished blooming except one red and one yellow. I was thinking I'd just cut them back to ground now for them to come back next year, but then....grrr...on three of the separate bunches, I saw adults again. That was the last straw. Pulled them all out. I just can't fight them again next year. Too gross and too needy of 'em!

So, I put them all in a yard waste bag, which will go out tonight. Will they come out of the soil and eat anything else I have or do they only prefer lilies? I have phox, euronymous, zinnia's, sedum, purple sandcherry, snowberry, and juniper all around where the lillies's were.

Too bad...but I think I've found replacements that I'll post in a separate thread. I'd like a head's up if what I've selected has its own bug enemy that would be nice to know about before I add them in!

Stupid fracken beetle...I shake my fist at you!!!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby B_BQ » Jul 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I love the orientals and asiatics but I too gave up on them because of the bluidy lily beetle! I discovered that my neighbour, who is very nice and we get on very well, had lots of lilies and all of hers were covered in the little red b$#$#@!'s. I told her about them, (she had no idea), but she had some Sevin in her arsenal, which she used to great effect. Sevin is no longer available in Canada, (unfortunately), and it really works on the red bu$$ers.

I have since 'acquired' some Sevin so might try lilies again now that I have something to wage war.

In the meantime, neighbours' lilies are still flourishing, but the little red bu$$ers are still popping up. Between us though we are fighting them.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

so far,so good.

Postby thistle » Jul 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Apart from a couple of stray visitors from someone else's Yard which were quickly disposed of,I have had no problems so far,not even a nibble taken out of my beautiful Lilies.I have been VERY diligent with checking and using Talc and Neem Oil and it appears to have worked.My lilies are just on the cusp of blooming,I'll take some Photo's and post when they do.I am so excited to see them in all their glory.
thistle

Postby Smitty » Jul 25, 2012 8:54 am

said it before..will say it again and again...no dang bug is going to stop me from growing my lilies!!
Jenn..I prefer to shake potato dust on mine rather than just my fist.

keeping up with the red devils is definitely an ongoing job...I had my gardens free of them but until all the neighbours control them or their lilies die from them....the fight will continue..
personally I do not see them favoring one type of lily over the next....all mine have nibble marks or big chews on them! and location makes no diff either.

could someone spalin please...how the' 7734' I could have larvae on some when I know that I had no adults?? it is like they came up overnight...freeking devil bugs!

and a big thumbs down to university of Chicago for bringing them across the pond.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jul 25, 2012 11:07 am

and a big thumbs down to university of Chicago for bringing them across the pond.

HUH????? I thought they were an unfortunate accident.... kinda like house sparrows (more properly known as "Weaver Finches" apparently....)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby thistle » Jul 25, 2012 1:37 pm

P1040039 (600x800).jpg
P1040041.JPG
P1040040 (600x800).jpg
if I ever get the hang of posting Pictures I can upload some of my Lillies which have evaded the dreaded Beetle. Here goes!!
thistle

Postby Smitty » Jul 26, 2012 7:24 am

well Lyn when I first discovered the red devils everything I could find on them said they came over with a batch of lilies to U of Chicago around 1945...but now when you do a google search they blame it on Montreal????? and yes it was an ooopsy..unlike dandelions and manitoba maples....they apparently brought them over on purpose
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby davefrombc » Jul 26, 2012 10:31 am

Bit of trivia....Dandelions, and the bane of the west coast , blackberries, were both brought over by early settlers from Europe for food crops. Young dandelion leaves make a nutritious early season green, and the flowers can be used to make a wine.
Blackberries are also high on the "super food" scale, but are terribly invasive, have no natural enemies here, and a real pain to remove.. in more ways than one !

Rather than further hijack the lily thread, I edited this.
Yes , Salmon berries are edible, but rather blah, some say "insipid"
Last edited by davefrombc on Jul 26, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Jul 26, 2012 10:33 am

But Blackberries taste sooooo good! BTW are salmon berries edible?

Why would anybody bring Manitoba Maple???? :roll: :roll:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Peggy2296 » Jul 26, 2012 10:35 am

thistle, your lilies are to die for! Simply stunning. How on earth did you manage to keep them so untouched by beetles?
Peggy2296

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk