Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Postby Jersm » Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

this year i decided to plant a bunch of veggies for myfirst garden. one of them is about 15 pole beans who are all doing fine some better then others.

I noitced that some of the beans are making a second stem and its growing like a second plant. my question is should i cut those second stems off or should i let them grow?

i have 3 beans in self watering pots i made with old plant containers and the rest are planted in the earth in my back yard. I built a stand for them with old fence peices
Attachments
beans3.JPG
note the 3rd stem growing on the right
beans2.JPG
the stem on the right of the image is the second stem from the tallest plant. i did not touch it, it found a spot on the outside of the cage.
beans1.JPG
Jersm

Re: Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Postby Eeyore » Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I would just leave it alone.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Jersm » Jul 27, 2012 10:26 am

yeah im going to let it grow as is.

however you dont hear much about how you get multiple stocks from the single seed. Basicallyim going to be getting multi plants fromt one single seed.

i thought maybe like tomatos you cut off the new suckers to prevent the plant from getting too bushy and stemy.
Jersm

Postby Eeyore » Jul 27, 2012 11:41 am

It is odd to get multile stems but the only thing I can think is that there must have been enough underground stem to allow multiple stems to form.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

I think I saw this with a few of my beans. But I think I dropped a few beans in the same hole type thing.

Nope, never heard of anyone pruning back bean plants...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

thats odd beacause almost ALL of my beans are growing a second stem maybe over 75% it must be genetics or something.

only my bean plant in self watering container with great soil is growing a 3rd stem sofar so thats 3 plants from a single seed.

I starte all my seeds in little cups then transplanted so i know 100% i put one seed per cup. I read that pole beans dont like being transplanted but i have a 100% success rate sofar they really dont seem to mind when they are 3-4 inches tall. i wouldn't dare try after they get their roots in deep.

some of my bean plants started two stems from the seed rigth away growing both stems at the same speed.
Jersm

Postby davefrombc » Jul 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Ummmmm is it just me , or do those pictures look more like pea vines than beans ?
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Jersm » Jul 27, 2012 1:05 pm

davefrombc wrote:Ummmmm is it just me , or do those pictures look more like pea vines than beans ?

its sugar snap vines or something lol....

I just call them beans beacause they grow pods i gess. this is my first attempt at growing them, sofar so good.
Jersm

Postby davefrombc » Jul 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Phew !.. Glad I don't need to get my eyes checked :lol: I was beginning to wonder what kind of beans they were.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Ah I'm growing those super sugar snap beans. I'm not crazy about them. I only got them because Dominion seed house must have mislabeled their seed packets, and their website, and their order form.

Dominion seed house calls sugar snap peas "Pois Mange Tout", when it should be "Pois Sucre". Pois Mange Tout are snow pea's.

Damn them. So I have an unhappy mother in law now who wanted pois mange tout and instead got this monstrosity which isn't a pois mange tout.

I Don't think I have multi-stems on them.. I could be wrong though. I planted them very close together so really I wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe you had more than one seed in a hole?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening