Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Postby davefrombc » Jul 27, 2012 1:35 pm

You can "mange tout" of sugar snap peas..Pick them before the peas develop. The pods are sweet, and the thick pods of more mature ones are good eating too .The ones I grew only had a single string on them rather than the parchment in the pod.
The peas you must pick immature for the sweet pods because if they mature the pods are inedible are called "snow peas"
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Jersm » Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

yeah they are sugar snaps ive never really had them so we'll see how good they are. we acutally got them by misstake too trying to buy normal bush beans i also planted a bunch.

I started all my sugar snaps indoors in individual cups so i know 100% fact that there was ONLY one seed per cup. its hard to be misstaken seeing as how big each seed is.

but yeah im getting seeds shooting up 2 stocks at a time off a single seed oddly enough. the biggest one in the first picture is growing a 3rd stock now its getting crowded.

i must be doing something right....
Jersm

Postby davefrombc » Jul 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Sugar snap peas are listed with others in the " mange tout" varieties, although snow peas are more likely what Marc was thinking about when he wanted to grow them for the pods .. Any pea variety can be eaten whole if very young pods are picked , but snow peas are the ones grown for the larger pods and immature peas used in many Asian dishes. Sugar snaps can be used in all growth and maturity stages, except fully mature sugar snaps can be starchy and lose their sweetness.
"sugar peas" usually is used to refer to the sweetest varieties of shell peas. Maybe different in La Belle Province, but Dominion didn't have the Sugar snaps mislabeled for English Canada, though the term "mange tout" is French for "eat all"
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah, you can pick them when flat, but they are very small when flat. In the super market here in Quebec, they even label them in english. First time ever I see something labeled non-french. They call them Pois Sugar Snap. heh

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them when they are big and round. At the supermarket, they sell them big and round.

Do you eat it like that or shell them? I shelled them and tossed them in with the peas.

I haven't even tasted them. I just give them away or put it in peas for the kids, and the mother in law is pissy not to have her pois mange tout.

Yeah sure I can always call Dominion seed house and say, WTF! But for the 1.99$... meh.

Although these aren't Pois Mange Tout, per everyone who saw them, The Quebec Language Police even calls Pois Sucre, pois mange tout...
http://www.gdt.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ficheOql ... e=17044227

As seen on the webpage, all the supermarkets can get warnings and fines here for calling them pois Sugar snap. heh

Maybe I will b*tch at Dominion seed house for mislabeling everything and making me grow stuff no one wanted.

EDIT:
davefrombc wrote:Maybe different in La Belle Province, but Dominion didn't have the Sugar snaps mislabeled for English Canada, though the term "mange tout" is French for "eat all"

Yup. They have it right for English Canada, but wrong for French Canada.

EDIT:
Technically, they should have called it a pois sucré.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Jersm wrote:its hard to be misstaken seeing as how big each seed is.

I asked my wife since she is the one who ran the string for these to climb up.

She said, yup, more than one runner or branch (or whatever it's called). So I guess maybe this is normal?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm not sure about all the Sugar Snap type varieties.. "Sugar Snap" is actually the first of a new variety of pea that you can eat pod and all when mature .. Since it came out there have been several "snap pea" varieties developed; some bush types and other vining like the originals . All have thick, edible pods. Some are stringless, others have a string from stem to flower end in mature pods. Cook up the whole pods as you would the peas or snow pea pods, or eat them raw.
I would guess the asinine language police should allow the naming of peas in the market Marc. "Sugar Snap" is a registered name for a particular variety of pea; so labeling them "pois Sugar Snap" should be correct and legal to the language police if they are indeed the original Sugar Snap peas.
Technically, "pois sucre" would be a misnaming of both the sugar snaps and snow peas since "sugar peas" are quite different from most varieties in their sweetness and appearance of mature peas.. The mature sugar peas are not nice and smoothly round or even slightly rippled .. They have a very wrinkled appearance,generally the sweeter , the more wrinkled.
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

eh, the kids like them so that's all that matters.

But, I don't think it's right the way Dominion has them labeled.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Jersm, I went out to check mine this evening. I noticed only one like what you posted out of about 30 that I have. So no, not all of mine are like that at all.

Must be the type you have?
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Jul 28, 2012 1:20 am

Gees, I am glad someone else also thought they were snap peas - I was also wondering! Yes, I grow them, mine have multiple stems - they look healthy and are just fine - no worries in my opinion. I can't wait to get out to my garden tomorrow and start harvesting mine after being away two weeks.

Marc, I love snap peas, they are nicer than mange tout peas, in my opinion. I never have to string them. They are lovely to eat raw, or stir fried, or tossed into a pot with a tbsp of water to steam for the shortest of times. Glorious, plump, fresh green pea pods. Perfect for a side veggie with a sandwich, or in any number of meals. The pods and peas are edible, and unlike mange tout peas (what I call Chinese snow peas), actually have peas in the pods and should be eaten whole. My favourite way to cook them is to toss them with a tsp of heated sesame oil and a smashed garlic clove, just until they start to turn translucent, and finish with a splash of light soy sauce. So quick and easy in a hot frying pan.

Tell Mom-in-law that she's not to old to try new things! She can mange tout les snap peas and will live to tell the tale about her new food experience.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Jul 28, 2012 3:47 am

Heidi S wrote:Tell Mom-in-law that she's not to old to try new things!

I should stop drinking coffee at 3 in the morning. I'm overtired and now have to find a rag to clean the coffee I just spewed out on my monitor.

mother-in-law... try new things... does not compute. Won't happen. If they didn't have it on their farm when she was a kid then it's good for nothing. Went down this road when the plant was not growing like a snow pea. Dominion seed house put me in the dog house for a week. A solid week of how this h'english guy doesn't know what a pois mange tout is. Uhg. I planted these ones at her place for her. She wanted them them pulled out a month ago.

So yeah, I pulled one off the vine to taste it this evening while checking how it grew. I was saying to myself that I think I liked it more than snow peas. I couldn't say this out loud though, mother in law was near me. So I had to act disgusted with it and blame the english people at Dominion to stay on her good side (even though, between you and I, they are owned by a Laval, Quebec company). Kids just pick them like that and munch on them all the time. So I may toss this in my garden next year for the kids.

BTW, I'm growing the Super Sugar Snap. Are you? Because mine don't have that 2nd or 3rd shoot coming up, except for one plant only. So I'm wondering if its the type of Sugar Snap or mine just suck?

Mine are not in the best of shape. This is the only plant that looks bad. Looks like there might be root rot (too much water) or no one watered them at all. Not sure. I'll double check that tomorrow. The vines are getting brown on most of them at ground level to a few inches up. Leaves are shriveling up on them and dying. Some of the vines have died as well. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if the mother in law poured bleach at the roots. These plant have been producing since the 3rd week of June though. So a little over a month now. I wonder if this is just the behavior of this plant after a month of production? Anyone grow these and know?

Dear Dominion Seed house,
Your fake pois mange tout had my mother in law give me crow for a week.
*Shakes fist in the air*
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening