Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Coffee Grounds & Filters??

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Coffee Grounds & Filters??

Postby Bug » Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am

Hi there!
I read recently that saving coffee grounds & the filters was good to use in the garden. However, I fail to remember where they are best suited. Does anyone have experience with adding them to the garden, if so, which plants like them best & do the coffee filters really decompose or would I have to be pulling them out next spring?? Also, I don't grow vegs, only shrubs & perennials.
Thanks for now!
~Bug
Bug

Re: Coffee Grounds & Filters??

Postby B_BQ » Jul 28, 2012 10:53 am

I put all my coffee grounds, (not so many now that we use a Keurig 1-cup coffee machine though), and filters in my composter. Yes, the paper filter does degrade over time. You could help it along by cutting it into small pieces.
I can't help with offering advice on just coffee grounds in the soil, but I'm sure it would be just fine scattered over the soil and raked in. You could actually bury the filter and it would degrade over the next few months.
Tea bags and/or tea leaves would be fine too.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Jul 28, 2012 11:08 am

The main caveat with using coffee grounds directly is that they are acidic. They are an excellent addition to a compost mix though. Coffee grounds are relatively high in nitrogen, magnesium and potassium.
You can add them to a compost pile , or worm composter , filter and all. Worms will eat it up and the additional bacterial breakdown of the coffee grounds helps release the nutrients in it, as well as bring the pH more to neutral from the acidic end.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Heidi S » Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey, Starbucks Coffee packages used coffee grounds and gives then away in the stores in my town. I grab a bag every now and then, when I see them and dump them into my composter - loooove that smell too!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby ben01 » Jul 30, 2012 9:06 am

Coffee - is there anything it can't do?
ben01

Postby mebbie » Aug 01, 2012 11:45 am

Hi...I put all our coffee grounds around the Hostas. They love the acidic soil . The slugs hate it. It has resolved the slug and snails problem for me.
btw I use unbleached filters. They are a bit hard to find. Here our Zehr's store carries them.
mebbie

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Aug 05, 2012 10:04 am

mebbie wrote:Hi...I put all our coffee grounds around the Hostas. They love the acidic soil . The slugs hate it. It has resolved the slug and snails problem for me.
btw I use unbleached filters. They are a bit hard to find. Here our Zehr's store carries them.

That's good to know, my mom has slugs in her garden. I have used coffee grounds for years around my roses.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Return to Plant Talk