Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Postby Heidi S » Jul 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Marc, these, like many pea varieties, are not good in prolonged heat, so if they have been producing since June and are browning, you are coming to the end of their natural cycle. You could plant a few more in August, in a less sunny spot, and get a secondary crop as you go into fall, as they like cool, dry weather. I can't do this, because of our early killing frosts, sometimes by August 15th!

Yes, I know, old folks and their fixation of what has been in the past. I just spent 2 weeks looking after my 81 yr old Dad who fell and broke his shoulder. Not the easiest guy most days, and hurting - Oy Vey! what a lot of complaining! I know it hurts, but you can't live the rest of your life in the La-z-boy Chair! I have 3 weeks off now though - my brother has arrived to take a shift at Dad's beck and call.

I just love my snap peas, and will even pay for them by the bagful at the grocery store during the winter because they make such great snack food. Ah, well, soldier old with dear ol' Maman - she was part of the package you agreed to in the wedding ceremony - even if no one said a word about it back then!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Jul 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Heidi S wrote:You could plant a few more in August, in a less sunny spot, and get a secondary crop as you go into fall, as they like cool, dry weather. I can't do this, because of our early killing frosts, sometimes by August 15th!

Yeah, just read the package. It says I can plant these till the end of July. Didn't realize this. So I'll plan for this next year (if the weather is hot again like this year). 1 set plant in early May, the next set mid July. When they get a foot or so high, pull out the older ones.

I didn't know this about this plant. TY for the heads up! Good to know. Not sure if I'll do another set this weekend. I'll ask the mom in law if she wants them ;)

If your dad is on any of those heart meds for cholesterol and whatever else, those meds actually eat muscle and cause muscle deterioration. So the pain is 10-fold more than someone else, plus the healing is almost non-existent since the muscle you want to repair around the area is being eaten away as you heal. It's a pain circle, and tissue repair problem. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. So I have a vague idea of the misery he is in and the complaining. Wouldn't surprise me if he is still hurting bad 2 years from now. It's a combination of the injury + other med's that compound the issue more so than for someone else. Many people don't realize this, or know this.

Everyone thinks mom in law getting a little senile. Think she went to a doc and something came back positive about her memory or lack of etc. Father in law is saying she isn't the same the past couple of years. So...

Some days I have fun with her and tell her that it was fun grocery shopping with her when I never brought her out. Then she gets really confused :p

So no... Not part of the package. Never signed up for this. But it is what it is... So I have to love it. Some evenings I bring her out on a date. She likes to sit on a terrace have a beer and just blab. Very sweet person. Then a couple of days later, eh she could rip my eyes out if I say "hello".

Reminds me of a Star Trek episode where an ancient earth satellite and an alien craft merged into one.

Capt. Kirk: [referring to Uhura] What d'you do to her?
Nomad: [after scanning her brain] That unit is defective. Its thinking is chaotic. Absorbing it unsettled me.
Spock: That "unit" is a woman.
Nomad: A mass of conflicting impulses.
:lol:

EDIT:

Just to show you what Dominion seed has on this. And note they don't even have the height right. This plant grows over 3-feet.
Mange_tout.jpg
All wrong

Another Edit:
Seems they decided to take a short cut on the Latin name as well.
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon is commonly known as the snow pea.
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon ser. cv. is known as the sugar or snap pea.

So, generic name which could be a few things. Wrong height (they have the right height for a snow pea plant though), and incorrect latin name using a generic that could mean a whole number of things.

But I should have read the english name. The French people who don't read english are screwed. This isn't right.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Jul 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Yeah Marc, my Dad's a walking pharmacy, although mainly lung drugs as he has emphysema, COPD and fibrosis from 50 years of smoking. he is on 4 l oxygen continuous at rest and 8 l when active (on his feet). This break could have been pinned surgically, if they could give him anaesthetic, but nope, can't do it - he stops breathing.

He is on some water pills, and a statin (is that the cholesterol drug?) as well. The biggest issue is he has always been a whiner - no stoicism for him. However, he is aiming to live to 85 or longer, so he is still focused on finding a way though this new challenge.

Well, enjoy your Maman-in-law as long as you can, you will certainly miss her when she is gone.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Jul 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Yup It's the statin. But with all he has... that's the least of the problems.

Heidi S wrote:you will certainly miss her when she is gone.

Yup. But I'm 100% sure her memory, regression and anger is pill related. Oh well.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Jul 29, 2012 3:46 pm

first of all thanks for all the great replies, im still new at growing veggies and loving it.

Im glad to hear ohers have multiple stems too i reall did not want to cut the stems off.i just got back from a 3 day trip and its amazing how much the garden grows. mostl the peas they grow like a weed.

So i took my seed bag out for the refrigirator for this thread, here is what it sais.

english > Snap peas (sugar snap vine)
french > Pois mangetout (sugar snap)
48"-72" tall (i wonder if my plant will beat this)
70 day (All american selection winner) by OSC seeds in waterloo ontario (im from new brusnwick(

the seeds are basically full peas (obviously)

I dont think there is anthing special about this brand of pea. I personally think the fact that i started them in a high quality potting soil then transplanted them in the ground might have helped grow multiple stems. I use a fluorecent light to start all my seeds indoors.

I heard they dont like being transplanted but again i have a 100% success rate and almost all have multiple stems.

the best biggest healithiest one i have the 3 stem on 1 is in a self watering container custom made by me. I find all my plants in self watering (wicking) pots do much better then in the ground.
Jersm

Postby Heidi S » Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am

Hi Jersm,

Just a tip for next year - peas are able to tolerate cold well, and can basically be directly seeded in your garden as soon as you can dig the soil in the spring. The only problem you will encounter is if the soil is overly wet from too much rain, and the peas rot instead of germinating. In that case, you can always seed again.

You are being extra careful with your planting methods, but peas don't actually need any fuss. Some of the fussier plants in your veggie patch need early seeding with grow lights, etc. Tomatoes, leeks, onions, peppers all welcome lots of care and attention so they are ready to be set out when the temps get warmer.

Your enthusiasm is great, keep going, and keep notes in a journal so you can see what your successes and failures are, so you can adjust and learn from your experiences. We are a chatty bunch on many topics, but plants and gardening is our favourite!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Jul 30, 2012 1:15 am

Jersm wrote:So i took my seed bag out for the refrigirator for this thread, here is what it sais.

english > Snap peas (sugar snap vine)
french > Pois mangetout (sugar snap)
48"-72" tall (i wonder if my plant will beat this)
70 day (All american selection winner) by OSC seeds in waterloo ontario (im from new brusnwick(

Thanks for sharing the info. At least the seed company you got yours from put the correct height. ;)

Heidi, thanks for the "cool weather" tip. I just looked into it, apparently they are good to go once the temp is... get this... 7.2-C. That's cold. Light frost doesn't kill them off. Heavy frost will. I could have planted mine even sooner.

Hot weather will cause production problems and plant problems. This could be what I am seeing on my end after weeks of like over 35C. Don't know...

I tried to find the difference between Sugar Snap & Super Sugar Snap, but the only thing I noticed was SSS having resistance to some diseases/fungus that SS doesn't.

EDIT:
@Jersm
TY for the tip on OSC Seeds. Checking them out now. Quite the collection they have. Will bookmark this one for ordering from for next year.
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Jul 30, 2012 9:53 am

I might try and sew some seedsright into the ground next year. I acutally tried sewing my seeds directlyinto the earth and i didn't get as much success.

either they just took forever to pop out or sometimes when they just started popping out of the ground, The birds pick at it and yank the seedling right out of the ground.

I did start quite late though this year since i randomlydecided I want to grow stuff.

damn those robins, robing the life from my seedlings!!!! they dont seem to be very scared of my bird scaring device. i basically supported a whole familly of robins with worms when i water and stuff. Literaly i found their nest so ive basically fed them since they poped out of those eggs.

@ dumbo;

no problem i quite like this companies seed sofar, I got some from a few different companies to try new things like royal burgandy beans. If you get anything unique or have an opinion on their products i would read it. :D
Jersm

Postby davefrombc » Jul 30, 2012 10:32 am

The original Sugar Snap peas were (are) a tall growing vining type.. There have been several varieties developed since the originals came out .. Some are tall vining, some are bush type, and some in between , so it depends on the variety you got whether they lied on the package or not Marc... By the way , Dad got Sugar Snap peas from Dominion the first year they were offered . Dominion Seedhouse was THE place to go for new offerings and variety for many years. Now, it's more just one of many offering seeds.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jul 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeah, I chose Dominion cuz I recall my grandmother ordering from there decades ago.

But yeah, they have the height wrong. No doubt about that. They are hitting 4-feet now if not more. Last time I measured them was when the mother-in-law complained saying those weren't pois mange tout due to the height. I told her she was off her rocker, took a measuring tape and it was already at 3.5 feet. That's when I realized she was right and then noticed how companies call more than one type of plant a pois mange tout.

60cm = ~ 2-feet.
These are double that, easy.
*shrug* live n learn.

Jersm wrote:damn those robins, robing the life from my seedlings!!!!

*Shakes fist @ those Rob'n Rock'n Robins*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMB2qdUss4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmvwFcfWmY
¬¿¬
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening