Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pepper Recipes. Jalapeno & Hungarian wax peppers

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Pepper Recipes. Jalapeno & Hungarian wax peppers

Postby Dumbo » Jul 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Sounds good.

TY for the reminder on Brit units of measure, I would have forgot.
so 1-gal = ~4.5-Litres.
9-oz sugar = 1 cup
2-brit tbsp = ~1/8-cup
3- pints vinegar = 1.7-Litres
1.5 oz flour = 3 tbsp

K that should be it.

No clue what marrow is, but i have some zukes I have to use or lose, so I'll do like you did. Did you peel the zucchini or leave as is?

Only thing I don't have is cauliflower, so I'll pick some up.

Can I use those pickling onions in this? Maybe I'll put them in this...

I used up all my cukes, so I'll have to wait about 2 days before I have more. Did you peel the cukes?

I go heavier on the turmeric as well.

K, this sounds good. Will wait a couple of days for the cukes. Not sure how many I need since it only states the weight of all veggies. Think I have 2 or 3 ready, and another 6 or so will be ready to pick in 2 days. I guestimate that this is around 12 to 13 cups of veggies, roughly, since most of these recipes are in the order of 12 to 14 cups.

I usually put 2 to 3 tbsp turmeric per 7 cups of veggies. So I may double it up to 4 tbsp

I *think* 10 or 12 cukes (english cukes) gives about 7 cups... How many cukes did you use?
*EDIT* 10-12 Peeled and seed cukes give 7 cups... Did you peel and seed them?
/end EDIT*

Sheez... I feel like Betty Crocker. :/
Don't tell the guys
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 29, 2012 2:54 pm

1 cup of sugar is 8 ounces not 9!

Marrow is a bit like a very very large zucchini, with softer flesh. It used to be quite a popular veg in Britain. Don't know about now. You can google!

I did not peel the zucchini.

Marc, I'm not one of those cooks who weighs and measures everything to the nth degree. I can't remember how many cucumbers I used, or how big the cauliflower was, etc. I just used what I had available, and I knew what was absolutely necessary in piccalilli; tiny silverskin onions, cauliflower, beans, and I made sure I had those. The rest was what I had.

I do not think I would use pre-pickled onions in this recipe; you would have double pickled onions!! Go to one of those stores where they sell large quantities of frozen foodstuffs in plain see-through bags, e.g. mixed veggies, beans, fruit, etc. You'll find those little onions there. Just use them as is after unfreezing.

I'm also not sure I would double up on the tumermic, but that would be your call. If you like turmeric then go for it.

Once you've got things going and you can see the finish line, then you can have a taste.

Good luck. I'm probably going to be making a batch of piccalilli and pickled onions this coming week.

Edit: If you use regular cukes, then I would de-seed them as there's a lot of water in regular cukes. Not necessary if you use English cukes.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Right-o. Thanks again!

B_BQ wrote:I'm probably going to be making a batch of piccalilli

PICCALILLI WAR IT IS!
Mine will be better.... ;)

EDIT
B_BQ wrote:I do not think I would use pre-pickled onions in this recipe

Ah, no. I meant the pickling onion (pearl onion) that I have in the garden. a bit less than an inch in width. about 1/2 inch high.

But I'll check the supermarket anyhow.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Jul 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Just a note on the peppers...

After cutting them, washing them, and after burning the skins, you have to finish the job.

I didn't. I got fed up after 2.5 hours and took a break till this evening. The peppers turn to a mush.

All the jalapeno survived, but thinner walled stuff, like the Hungarian wax or cayenne, did not. It's like they dissolve.

I'll can these ones anyhow. just to test a recipe and think of what I can do with them, if anything. Very mushy and soggy. This is a long non-stoppable process for anyone with a lot of peppers and thinking of doing this. Once you heat them there is no turning back.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 31, 2012 1:24 am

Try the "cold-canning" method if you have any extra peppers, Marc. You keep the peppers refrigerated after canning. I would not use thick-walled peppers for this recipe. I got it from another forum. I haven't tried it, but I will this year if I ever get enough peppers to can.

You will need:
peppers, sliced
4 - 8 oz jars
minced garlic
sea salt
whole black peppercorns
white vinegar
water

Clean jars well. Mix vinegar and water at ratio of 3 to 1 (3 cups vinegar to 1 cup water).
Place sliced peppers into jars and pack down lightly - should be below top edge of rim. Place 2 tsp minced garlic and 2 tsp sea salt into each jar. Sprinkle with 2 tsp whole peppercorns. Pour vinegar water into each to just below rim. Cap jars and chill. Wait at least a couple of days before trying them.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 31, 2012 12:25 pm

TY Donna.

I'm trying to do two things:

1. Meet or exceed Bicks pickled peppers (the coloured ones thinly sliced)
Bicks.jpg
Bicks.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

2. Meet or exceed Old El Paso sliced Jalapeno's
jalapenos.jpg
jalapenos.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

Needless to say, both were a complete failure.

I managed to get very close with the pickles, so I should be able to do these as well. But it will take a lot of trial and error like with the pickles.

But I did discover a couple of things.

1. You can't scorch banana peppers for the same amount of time (or maybe the same heat) like the jalapeno's. The walls are too thin.

2. The method of scorching them seems to maybe be a factor.

I already have a bunch in the freezer, and more ready to pick so I have some to waste in kitchen tests.

But if anyone comes across anything for me to try, feel free.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Love both of those peppers.

Hot pickled banana peppers on a hamburger - yum!
Pickled jalapenos with cheese makes a great quesadilla.

Both are always in my fridge!

Marc, I really don't think you need to take the peel off these types of peppers. Just slice them very thinly into circles. Leave the seeds or not. If you keep the seeds then the pickles will be hotter!

The walls on these types of peppers are very thin, so I can see them disintegrating if you blister the skin off - the heat will turn the flesh to mush!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jul 31, 2012 1:00 pm

B_BQ wrote:Hot pickled banana peppers on a hamburger - yum!
Pickled jalapenos with cheese makes a great quesadilla.

Yup!

You coOoOould be right.

But 2 or 3 years ago I tried w/o peeling. They remained hard. Too hard.

This time w/ peeling they are too soft. But I made procedure errors yesterday.

I'll do some as a test w/o peeling. Maybe 2-3 years ago I just didn't use the right peppers. I don't recall.

So the next batch/trial/test I won't peel some of them, then compare it before scorching the rest to see the outcome.

The ones you buy are soft, no crunch, but not mushy. An in-between type thing.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Marc,
What is the purpose of taking the peel off the peppers before making pickled peppers? I've only roasted peppers to add to a cooked dish because it intensified the flavours. Cooking them in any way when making pickles would turn them to mush...it wouldn't make a good end product, that's for sure.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Jul 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Donna, darned if I know. But this is what I have been reading for pickled peppers.

EDIT:
OK then based on what the two of you said, I'll assume the last time I did them I used the wrong peppers.

I'll can them as is this time, just cut into rings.

Double Edit:
http://www.pickyourown.org/pepperspickled.htm
it sez:
Peppers have a skin that turns REALLY tough when you can the peppers, so you've got to remove the skin before canning.

This is what I encountered the last time i did this... They were very hard.
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening