Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Pole/vine beans multiple stems

Postby Jersm » Jul 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Well it seems that the better the conditions the more stocks the sugar snap makes. I was wondering if anyone elses plants base looks like this from the ground or is it beacause its in a wicking self watering pot. it seesm i now have 4 stems on the strongest plant in a container.

I also noticed the plants in my self watering pots have almost twice as thicker stems at the top then the bottom is that normal? the ones i have in the ground seem to be not as thick and the same size troughout the plant.

thep pictures are showing my main plant, i started them late in the season too.

i really love these plants its quite amazing seeing it grow so fast over night and i find it a very nice looking plant haha.
beans7.JPG
Attachments
beans6.JPG
beans5.JPG
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Jul 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Nice.

That's definitely thicker than the super sugar snap I have.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Dumbo wrote:Nice.

That's definitely thicker than the super sugar snap I have.

Interesting i read supersnaps are supposed to have bigger pods it would be cool to compare the yield when the peas start forming. :D
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Dunno. Keep in mind I planted these ones at the in-laws for them. So I don't know the water they are getting or even watching them much. Plus their soil is spent. It's actually grey. Looks more like clay than soil. I'll have to fix that for them next year.

So a few things could be issues here for the SSS.

And, as Dave mentioned, there are a few varieties of each.

I also don't find the yield that great to be honest. But this could be due to the plant starting to die off as I mentioned further up.

I'll try them in my own garden next year.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Aug 01, 2012 12:16 am

I don't remember which variety I planted, but I have good (ish) soil and mine are quite short - no more than 2 ft at max. There are lots of different varieties of these pod peas these days!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Aug 01, 2012 12:20 am

Jersm, when did you plant these peas out and have you had any peas to harvest yet? I am actually concerned that all you have accomplished is get great stems and leaves, with no fruit, as it were. I have been eating mine for weeks now, and you should be too. You may have too rich soil, heavy in nitrogen if you are not getting peas by now.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Jersm » Aug 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Heidi S wrote:Jersm, when did you plant these peas out and have you had any peas to harvest yet? I am actually concerned that all you have accomplished is get great stems and leaves, with no fruit, as it were. I have been eating mine for weeks now, and you should be too. You may have too rich soil, heavy in nitrogen if you are not getting peas by now.

I sure hope they didn't just grow for show, but i acutally started all my plants late. I also have normal bush beans I planted in the ground around the same time. they are acutally just starting to grow the pods. I read sugar snaps take longer so im sort of basing it off them. in the picture above with my hand behind it you can see at the stem a preflower i think thats the stem pods grow off of.

The royal red burgandy seem to be doing the best in my soil but i have wax and dwarf green too. I just recently ate my first finished radishes since they grow faster then most plants and they only just started to get full grown.

I sure hope my snap pea plants will end up producing peas but im still expecting it to take longer then bush type. I will be looking up what the preflowering looks like for sugar snaps pods.

I just decided a bit late in the season that i want to plant a garden so i did.
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I planted everything at the same time. Peas, bush beans and SSS.

SSS produced first followed by peas then the bush beans.

EDIT:
first and last time I plant peas... what a boring pain in the butt to shell those.
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Aug 04, 2012 11:37 am

Heidi S wrote:Jersm, when did you plant these peas out and have you had any peas to harvest yet? I am actually concerned that all you have accomplished is get great stems and leaves, with no fruit, as it were. I have been eating mine for weeks now, and you should be too. You may have too rich soil, heavy in nitrogen if you are not getting peas by now.

I think you might have been correct. :(

I have a bunch planted in the ground i checked today and some are floweing. I think i might have put too much miracle grow so i grew massive plants with no fruit. :mrgreen: I was going away for 3 days and i felt the need to add extra nutrients it burned a leaf off one of my beans too lol it turned yellow and died i just cut it off but its still floweing.

it was an experiment anyway... but its not too late i still have hope in them but bad feeling about it. :mrgreen: my only hope is that maybe it have to hit its max growing first beacase its growing like an inch a day.
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Aug 04, 2012 3:18 pm

From my understanding. Nitrogen and iron are this plants best friend. The rest is all gravy.

So you may want to look at something with added/extra iron instead of adding extra P & K.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening