Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Who picked carrots thus far?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Who picked carrots thus far?

Postby Dumbo » Aug 01, 2012 3:06 pm

I picked all my carrots today. I'm not the type to leave them there and go out in winter to grab some. They were all ready. The odd small ones.

Grew navarino & mignon. No clue which is which anymore. But one of them (the smallest one) tastes better.

Figured it out. The mignon are the smaller ones. This one tastes better. I recall someone here saying they didn't like these, so I put less of them. Should have planted more.

Wonder if I still have time to put some in??? I think this one is ready in 60-days..

Edited.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Who picked carrots thus far?

Postby Dumbo » Aug 01, 2012 4:33 pm

I looked into the carrot planting. Seems I'm good to go for a while still.. Right up till November from what I read.

Have another question... Was looking at how I should amend the soil in this area. So did a quick search and found this.
http://www.cfi.ca/_documents/uploads/el ... 5B1%5D.pdf
Carrot uptake N: 140 - 150 P: 25 K: 350

So it seems I should add something with a high K value

A quick search for something organic that is high in K is pretty much ridiculous http://www.plantstogrow.com/Botany/Work ... %20NPK.pdf

What do some of you use?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Jersm » Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm

I have carrots in the ground too but i started all my crops a bit late. Im thinking of letting them in for a while longer. I dont remember the names but i planted orange and white carrots.

I havent put any in the ground though so i think im going to put a bunch of seeds in some ptting soil/fluo light bulb before i plant them outside. I give the seedlings 18 hours of light under cool whites.

Most wouldn't bother but i like planting them seed for seed in cups and transplanting them outside. I find they sprout and grow faster beacause i give them 18 hours of light. I am down to 15.7 hours of sun light here. plus i let them get bigger so they can tolerate bugs snacking on their leafs once in a while.
Jersm

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm

I grow scarlet nantes. The foliage is very lush and healthy but I haven't pulled any out yet. You can always put in an extra crop if you have the seeds, just bear in mind that the 60 days that you have in late summer is not comparable to the 60 days you have in your normal growing season - your days are getting shorter.

There's enough potassium in our native soil, we never have to worry about it in SK.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm

True.. Didn't think about the shorter days.

Guess I should forget it.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Don't forget it...... You probably do still have time! Even with the sghorter days. Remember, full sun is considered to be 6 hours or more a day.

I hav e five carrots growing.....A large number germinated.....but somewhere, without me seeing, they all disappeared....except those 5 stoopid carrots!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Aug 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I tossed them in with a roast beef. First time I see the kids go for carrots before anything else and actually finish them off.

So those 2 kinds are a kid winner. I'll grow those again.

Maybe I'll plant more. I have various kinds but these 2 have a short growing period compared to others I have. Plus they are smaller. Maybe I will. Will see if I'm up to it tomorrow.

As is I have mucho pickles again & cukes. The cukes & pickles are now starting to give-out. So I'll likely pull all that up after I come back next week from wherever I go.

Is that normal for cukes and pickles to produce hard and then give out after about 6 weeks or so?
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Aug 01, 2012 7:41 pm

I started my Nantes carrots late and they look a bit pathetic! I'll leave them be and will enjoy them if they ever mature!!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Aug 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your carrots.

From what I read last night carrots take up a lot of K from the soil. I'm still wondering what would have a lot of K, while low on N & P? I didn't see anything last night at the regular stores aside from the general stuff. Would have to ask a garden place I guess.

Going to plant more this afternoon and see what happens. If nothing happens, then I'll blame Kelly.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

I can handle it!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening