Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

natural cloning tips

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

natural cloning tips

Postby Jersm » Aug 03, 2012 2:31 pm

recently My tomato plant got broken off right at the stem i still dont know why... It looked like it was pushed and it snapped at the base and fell over. I ended up putting the broken tip in just water first for a day then very overly wet potting soil. I clipped off the larger leaves that are going limp and placed it in a shady area under a table. thankfully i saved the plant but....

its now twice as small as its siblings but its back at its original spot growing perfectly fine.

My question is does anyone know of any natural products that help stimulate root growth on plants like tomatos? the only thing i have heard about sofar is that honey helps stimulate root growth. Im happy to see the good old water and potting soil works but i wouldn't mind speeding up the process without spending tons of money on rooting formulas chemicals from the store.

I plan on cloning a bunch of tomato suckers and possibly other things i shall not mention. :mrgreen:
Jersm

Re: natural cloning tips

Postby B_BQ » Aug 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Get hold of some some small willow branches and chop finely. Put in a container and pour hot water over them. Let the whole thing sit for a couple of weeks. After straining the resulting concoction is often used as a rooting medium. Be sure to label the mixture well.
Perhaps google might bring something up. I'm trying to remember what I did many years ago, but perhaps I'm not remembering all the steps necessary.
I'll google myself when I have a little more time.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Jersm » Aug 03, 2012 3:44 pm

that sounds pretty interesting im going to give it a try and compare the results from just water and with help to root.

im going to put branches in a electric coffee grinder.
Jersm

Postby B_BQ » Aug 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Jersm:

Here's a link to willow tea:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4905464_willow- ... rmone.html

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Jersm » Aug 04, 2012 10:29 am

thnaks for the info, Now i just have to find a willow tree somewhere around here. I got for bike rides and walks but not that many willow trees here.

I will try this for surethough, I wonder if this would be a good additions to any plants diet while they are young.

I imagine faster rooting= faster growing.
Jersm

Return to Plant Talk