Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

new appreciation for wasps

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

new appreciation for wasps

Postby Jersm » Aug 04, 2012 7:32 pm

We have two coconut sized wasps nests a little bigger acutally in the back yard. no one else wnated them but i let them live and im happy i did acutally.

Today especially they seem to be on all out hunting mode scanning every single plant in my garden for bugs to use to feed their young. no one has been stung and we are usually in the backyard at some point every day. A few times while im watering some even come up and look for water drops for a drink.

They are peacefull bugs to humans who just want to grow their nests and hunt for more prey/nectar.

the more populated they get the less damage my garden takes. :mrgreen:
Jersm

Re: new appreciation for wasps

Postby Dumbo » Aug 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Yeah I've seen some wasps purposely land in the pool & drink. When the water circulation starts pushing them out too far or towards the skimmer they fly up & and land a little further away & repeat.

I have some sort of ground bee nest. Little small hairy bee's. And maybe a bumble bee nest up around the carport in the soffit. Had a wasp nest, but I got rid of it cuz of the kids. Just takes a ball or a water gun blast to get those things going.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 05, 2012 8:26 pm

I guess the wasps we had about two years ago were the aggresive type. Their nest was the size of a football about 25ft. high in a tree & real threatening behavior when anyone in the yard. We were glad for the sunroom but sure made it dicey when mowing & triming the lawn, watering the plants, etc. Spent many an evening pondering how to get rid of them then one day a crow solved the problem by tearing the nest apart & having a good feed. It was kinda nasty for a day or two because of angry survivors buzzing about.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby davefrombc » Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm

I have a few wasps in my solarium. They don't bother me, but do decimate the bugs. Now , it they'd only dine on the scale and spider mites too...
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 06, 2012 3:44 am

I reached into a bag of soil on my deck and got stung by a wasp on the inside of my hand. I reacted horribly to the sting - the hand swelled up like a softball. It ended up getting infected and I had to treat with antibiotics. I have a healthy respect for wasps, but if I ever was in a situation to "brain" a few of them (without getting stung), I would jump at the chance.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Jersm » Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

I am sure glad these wasps aren't so bad, ive been mowing he lawn and walking by everyday to water the plants. even my dog goes out in the back yard and never had any issues.

Ive never seen wasps or bees agressiv to the point of threatening anything that even walks around the yard. these guys are sooo busy flying around the tons of grape vines and all the plants they dont evne seem to mind us.

We acutally have mud wasps too who love our shed. last year i broke open a mud wasp nest once nad it was filled with dead spiders in a sort of pod so their babies can eat inside the mud nests. I wonder if they attack spider mites too or thats just too small.

either way i quite enjoy patroling my garden with my fellow wasps. i give them a place to live,respect their nest and food and they offer pest control.
Jersm

Postby Heidi S » Aug 07, 2012 1:34 am

Sadly my wasp experience, has been of the stinging variety, and I prefer to not have those types in my place.

4 years ago we had a hive set up shop in a crack in our basement, which I discovered when I opened the door to the under-stair storage area, and stepped on one - he fought back! We had the exterminator come out, as I couldn't see living with 100's of them in the house!

Last year I had another run-in with a nest of them; I was cleaning windows with a pole brush and apparently disturbed the nest up in a tree near the house, as I maneuvered the pole towards the window behind - got stung again! And since this tree is on a public pathway beside our place, travelled by many people including small kids. So we called our friendly exterminator.

I would love some not stinging wasps though! Especially those bug-eating ones you folks seem to have.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Jersm » Aug 08, 2012 2:51 am

Heidi S wrote:Sadly my wasp experience, has been of the stinging variety, and I prefer to not have those types in my place.

4 years ago we had a hive set up shop in a crack in our basement, which I discovered when I opened the door to the under-stair storage area, and stepped on one - he fought back! We had the exterminator come out, as I couldn't see living with 100's of them in the house!

Last year I had another run-in with a nest of them; I was cleaning windows with a pole brush and apparently disturbed the nest up in a tree near the house, as I maneuvered the pole towards the window behind - got stung again! And since this tree is on a public pathway beside our place, travelled by many people including small kids. So we called our friendly exterminator.

I would love some not stinging wasps though! Especially those bug-eating ones you folks seem to have.

sounds painfull... i have been stung only once in mylife by a bee when i stepped on it by accident.

i seem to be on good terms wih them still. Todayi was watering my bean bushes and once again they were hard at work looking for protein for their young. I basically was kneeling down while watering waching close 10 wasps buzzing around hunting.. that was he first time ive had so many wasps around me acutally.

but i suppose messing with their nest would be a whole differentstory. is abou 10 feet away from the garden so its their first choice for hunting grounds.
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Aug 08, 2012 8:40 am

Jersm wrote:Ive never seen wasps or bees agressiv to the point of threatening anything that even walks around the yard.

A couple of years back I was in Three-Rivers, QC. They didn't have an infestation, but rather an invasion that lasted about 3 years (talking millions of them here). You couldn't walk anywhere w/o having one land on you. But they didn't bother anyone, except for those who panicked. Even then I never saw anyone stung while jumping up and down waving their arms.

But, having a nest and having these things flying around looking for food are two different things. I wouldn't want to have stumbled on one of their nests.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 08, 2012 6:45 pm

There are wasps & wasps. Some are aggressive & some not.

Organ pipe mud daubers - peaceful.

Yellow Jackets - watch out.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence