Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Rock Salts (rock fertilizers)

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Rock Salts (rock fertilizers)

Postby Dumbo » Aug 05, 2012 8:17 pm

So back around spring there was a woman here (a Geologist or Geo-engineer) who turned me onto rock fertilizers. The more I read the more I liked. But I don't know all of these natural sources of these rock fertilizers.

As an example of a natural rock salt/fertilizer soil amendment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomite

So what others are there?

I know when I had my soil trucked in there were these white rocks in it. I was kinda annoyed picking them all out till it dawned on me how soft and crumbly it was, and then I realized it was calcium. Live-n-learn.

So what other strange rock names are there? What is worth getting to amend garden soil?

EDIT:
Want to add some in fall so it has some time to dissolve... The white rocks I had in my soil when I got it seems to have mostly vanished. Only a bit here and there are left.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Rock Salts (rock fertilizers)

Postby Jersm » Aug 06, 2012 10:57 am

im not sure the names of individual minerals but yeah calcium is a very important one for many pants.

I got this tip from a very popular youtube gardener. he was talking about how plants need minerals to create minerals. He goes on talking about how large companies started to use AZOMITE beacase the outcome of the crops make more money then they use in azomite.

its baiscally powdered rocks of all kinds and apparantly you cant even over feed a plant or anything beacause its what you find in soil anyway. another thing he mentioned is if to add powdered oister shells for extra calcium.
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Aug 08, 2012 8:28 am

Yeah I think I recall reading of that one a few days back. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that "brand" name you mentioned is a way of skewing (or misrepresenting) it's real name, which escapes me at the moment, but is a type of zeolite. If I'm not mistaken that brand name may be the type of zeolite that has been in the news for years as causing lung cancer. Again, I'm not certain here, but I think that's the one (don't know for sure). From what I recall it was a certain type from a particular state. It just so happens the "brand" name you mention is from Utah. So I don't think I would touch that brand name. But there are similar ones related to it mined elsewhere w/o the asbestos in it (if that's the one). But who knows what the truth is on that.

Example of a zeolite, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinoptilolite

I'm going to try and avoid these aluminum ones.

TY for the info though!
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 08, 2012 11:26 am

That natural gardener, Eliot Coleman, always advocated using rock phosphate. I could never source it locally, so never bothered, but it is supposed to be a really useful soil amendment.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Aug 09, 2012 4:37 am

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I could never source it locally, so never bothered

Really? One would think these things are readily available at the garden centres or nursery's.

You make a point. Maybe I'm going about this wrong. Maybe I should see what exists in my area before looking all these up and wasting my time.
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening