Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Supper Aug. 09

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Supper Aug. 09

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Roasted zuc & taters with chicken breast.
Attachments
IMG_3061.JPG
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Supper Aug. 09

Postby B_BQ » Aug 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Gosh, the forum is so slow tonight it's hardly worth the effort.
Nice looking supper Ron.
DH decided he wanted fish & chips! I made a very light batter with iced water for the fish, with oven fries. A salad of peas and some fresh-picked tomatoes to-go-with.
~BBQ
IMG_2802.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Those plates look good, BBQ and Ron!

When you make oven fries do you just toss the raw potato wedges in some light oil and bake them in the oven? If so for how long and what temp? I used to deep fry flour potatoes fingers after soaking in ice water, but I threw the deep fryer out when a.) discovered it was older than ME and had a short in the wire b.) was diagnosed with elevated cholesterol. Got the cholesterol under control by simply cutting back on fats especially butter but I would like to be able to make a baked kind of fry, and yours looks very nice.

By the way did I tell you about marinading in a spiced herbed onioned up yogurt, patting sort of dry then rolling in breadcrumbs? Boy that makes the fish/chicken/beef tender and you skip the egg yolk part.

No pix but ours was fresh cabbage coleslaw, corn on the cob, bbq salmon steaks and fresh red potatoes with basil and a small bit of butter. Cant completely quit butter I am afraid.

ke
Katherine

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am

Katherine wrote:By the way did I tell you about marinading in a spiced herbed onioned up yogurt, patting sort of dry then rolling in breadcrumbs?

Really? I'll try that maybe on the weekend w/ chicken. You leave it over night in this or a few hours?

For potatoes yeah you can add a light oil, that is, roll it in a bowl w/ some of oil (not sure what BBQ does, I do mine thicker). I usually just put Al-foil on a cookie sheet, and rub oil on the foil to keep it from sticking, then one single spray over them. Recipes usually call for 400F, but I do 375 since I find the potato will burn/stick more.

I use grape seed oil. It smokes at 425. So it's good at the 375 to 400 temps. Actually it smokes at a higher temp than most other oil and also has the least amount of saturated fat and the most polyunsaturated fat. Also, due to it's higher allowable cooking temp, it won't be converted to trans-fat (the one that is the really bad fat) like the other oils will. (when an oil in deep fryer changes to that darker colour that is trans-fat, or when you surpass the smoke point of the oil). So it's an all around good oil to use. Also, since it's very light oil it's also great w/ salads or if you make your own Mayo.

Or you can pack some Al-foil with taters & onions with some garlic, wrap it all up, toss on a BBQ for about 40-min on the top rack. Oil is option, but w/o it the taters touching the foil will stick and not be usable. So again, I usually rub down the Al-foil with oil.

Katherine wrote:Cant completely quit butter I am afraid.

Margarine?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

Kat: Your meal sounds delicious. We like salmon very much, (but only Atlantic!), but unfortunately it gives us heartburn, so don't eat as much of it as we would like.

As far as the taters are concerned - I wash and dry them off then slice them to whatever thickness we want. I often do big potato wedges, like Marc, but of course they take much longer to cook.

After prepping I toss them in a bowl with just a little oil, (I tend to use canola or olive oil, I've even used 'Pam', which works just fine), probably less than a TBS, season them with whatever seasonings you like, (for fish & 'chips' I just use salt), but really anything goes - fresh herbs, cayenne, chili.

I line a pie plate or sheet pan with parchment paper rather than foil, and bake at around 400 degrees. Obviously the thinner they are the quicker they cook. Those I served last night, being thin, cooked from the raw state to done in about 20 - 25 minutes. You can speed up the process though by par-boiling for a couple of minutes, drain, add a little oil, season, and throw them in the oven.

I use very little butter these days. Sometimes I will add just a small knob, maybe the size of a thumb nail, at the very end of the cooking process - just for that glisten and taste, but for everyday use we've gotten used to using Becel. I use the one with less salt.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Aug 10, 2012 12:27 pm

[/quote]
Margarine?[/quote]

I can't quit margarine either. I think I could be a very hot 58 year old if I could just lose 30 pounds. :lol:

Thanks for the directions BBQ and Marc. Lots of ideas there, and some basics, so thanks.

Mark, re yoghurt, this is adapted from the East Indian use of yogurt to tenderize lamb or chicken for Korma. It softens the meat and allows the entry of seasonings in a really nice way. I just leave it for a four hours or so usually. Ie, I put it together after lunch then cook it for dinner.

I seldom use it plain (unflavoured low fat), but add onion, garlic, basil, ginger, honey, hot sauce to the yogurt first.

The thing is, the chicken or pork or beef comes out of the yoghurt and its covered in sticky goo, swab most of it off, then use that as the coating to then toss the meat in the seasoned breadcrumbs (ok: this is top secret but its basically, oregano, basil, garlic powder and cinnamon, and not too much either). Then brown it in some oil and minced onion, being careful not to burn it, then slip it into a clean dish and into the oven at 350 for about 3/4 of an hour (bone in or not).

I dont use the pan its fried in (briefly) because it just comes out with rock hard burned bits all over it, hard to clean. Some fats will leak out of the chicken but but most of the flavour and good stuff is trapped inside.

Best fried chicken ever. And not so greasy.
Katherine

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Katherine wrote:I can't quit margarine either. I think I could be a very hot 58 year old if I could just lose 30 pounds. :lol:

lol This is a trap. I know it.
You know sulfur chemistry, thus you are hot. And no, that biochem book does not make your bum look big.
*Puts a drop of water on Kat*
*Sizzle* OoOoh

TY for the secret recipe.

Yeah, we switched to Becel as well long ago.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Over the Garden Fence