Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

One for Ron

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

One for Ron

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Ron, was reading about a meteor shower coming up this weekend.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/10 ... p-the-sky/

Have you ever done sky-shots like this with your equipment? Something about leaving the shutter open and longer exposures.

Seems there are firmware updates for Cannon cameras that will allow you to exploit the full use of these cameras for such shots. I never knew this.

Ever toy with this?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: One for Ron

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 10, 2012 7:02 pm

If I remember correctly, you said you had a Canon S5 IS. I once installed a hack on mine that allowed me to shoot RAW with it but I took it off because it introduced some issues that I was not happy with. Canon cameras are so common that there is an incentive for hackers to "improve" the firmware to add features Canon held back.

Aside from hacks, Canon & others, often publish firmware updates on their web site for you to download & install on your camera.

On my Panasonic G1, I stopped installing updated firmware when one blocked the use of third party batteries that could be purchased for $20 vs $70 for genuine.

If you want to keep abreast of what is going on, you need to join a forum dedicated to your camera.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: One for Ron

Postby Dumbo » Aug 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Ron Evers wrote:On my Panasonic G1, I stopped installing updated firmware when one blocked the use of third party batteries that could be purchased for $20 vs $70 for genuine.

LOL, for some reason i'm not at all surprised by this. Must have been one heck of an uproar.

Nah my cam is not good for anything. Tried taking a shot of a caterpillar earlier but it's just a fuzz of green. Same with a tomato. Like I said, likely dropped one too many times. No clue really.

When I do decide to get a new one I'll have to look at all this. I would be into the different homebrew firmwares to try different things and play with it. But I only noticed these for Canon. (Well, the nighttime meteor taking ones cuz that's all I looked into.)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Over the Garden Fence