Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Chokecherrries!!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Chokecherrries!!!!

Postby Eeyore » Aug 10, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm baaacccck and I have about 13 pounds of chokecherries! Our last night camping we were literally surrounded by ripe berries so I had to pick them. I'm going to wash and juice them tonight and then I want to make chokecherry syrup (with amaretto!). Does anyone know what the proportion of sugar to juice should be? I don't want it super sweet? Should I use pectin?

Of course now I have to buy some jars and I'll have to figure out how I'm going to process the jarts since I no longer have a canner.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Chokecherrries!!!!

Postby Dumbo » Aug 11, 2012 12:12 am

Hi Eeyore,
WELCOME BACK!
I missed you!
It wasn't the same here without you.

I won't name names, but your sister was an unjustly cruel, harsh, severe, oppressive, despotic, and a tyrannical ruler while you were away.

You are making a syrup? Sorry, my books don't have a cherry syrup. Only the syrup for canning them in, or for jellies type thing. But nothing on making a syrup from them.

You are the best! /Start subliminal message: And don't believe what Kelly may tell you. /end subliminal message
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 11, 2012 5:54 am

Seems easy, if you have the tools for this.

http://www.make-it-do.com/cook-it-bake- ... rry-syrup/
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Aug 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Whoot!!! Glad you are back!!!

Can't help you with the syrup issue.....never done it before!

I can however update you on the forum.

It has been quiet and slow...no major issues save one. And he's crusty with big ears.

A couple of newbies who have been a lovely addition....and haven't been scared away by Crusty.......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Countryboy » Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Good to see u back. :)

I used to have a big old boiling pot . . one of the blue ones. *Maybe it's still around here somewhere.* With a jar rack that fit inside. Had it for probably 30 years . . . never used it.

I've learned to avoid picking anything I can't eat right there and then! ;) lol
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » Aug 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Have to admit, i've never seen a "juice boiler" before. Don't think I've ever even seen one in stores.

Do they still exist?
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Aug 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Yeesh! I see this site is loading slow as molasses tonight!

Those juices are hard to come by Crus.... errrr..... Dumbo, I just boiled the berries in my big stock pot. Ended up with 13 cups of juice but will strain it once again through a finer cloth to remove more pulp and probably work with 12 cups of juice. I found a recipe that calls for nothing but berries and sugar at a ratio of 4 cups juice to 3 cups sugar. Think I'll go with that since I really don't want it too sweet.

Frank, I quit canning years ago, I'm not sure why I'm doing this again. :roll: Usually, If I can't freeze it to use later I don't bother with it. :shock:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Aug 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Wonder if I should change avatar?
Krusty.jpg
Krusty
Krusty.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

Yeah I even checked amazon.ca, I was curious about them, they show one but it's unavailable with no restock.

Likely something to do with American homeland security since I can think of a few things to extract w/ that.... :shock:

One of my books says to leave it in the fridge over night and decant in the morning. Guess that would work if the pulp/sediment settles and not held in suspension.

EDIT:
Says decant through a coffee filter.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm

IT's in the fridge now and the sediment is settling out. Didn't think about a cofee filter..... was gonna use a clean tea towel.....

Nah, I think I like the 113 year old Cuban better than Krusty the Clown.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Aug 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Crusty and the cuban look prettty darn close.....except the hair!

just adding my 2 cents into the canning process!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence