Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Mycorrhizal fungi as a purchase

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Mycorrhizal fungi as a purchase

Postby copperbeech » Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am

I am seeing at nurseries that I frequen amending products containing "mycorrhizal fungi".

There is reasonably wide distribution of such a product under the name of MYKE:

http://www.usemyke.com/mycorise/mycorrhizae/mycorrhizae.html

http://www.usemyke.com/mycorise/gardening/flower/mykeannual/mykeperennial.htm

It isn't cheap i.e. 1.5 L dry (15 oz) for $13 + taxes.

So what is the prevailing thought re such a supplement for plants? Good horticulture or 'hokum pokum'?
copperbeech

Re: Mycorrhizal fungi as a purchase

Postby Countryboy » Aug 14, 2012 9:05 am

Before I finally commenced the never-ending renovation around here I used to start a lot of plants. And get my hands much dirtier than I have the time for now. :( lol

In a gardening forum years ago, we discussed the use of Myke for seedlings, and its benefit was proven to me then. So I used it regularly . . . once upon a time.

When I have the time to get back to that 'February and March' indoor gardening I will haul out my old container and get back to adding a pinch to all seedlings. Expensive, yes . . but a pinch of beneficial microbes is all u need. So the Myke goes a loooooong way. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Heidi S » Aug 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Good old Mychorrizal! We had a guest lecturer (Dr. Hugues Massicote) talk for 1/2 a day on this topic during my Master Gardeners' course this winter, and it was surprisingly interesting! We learned that most plants grow better with a mychorrizal infestation, and our forests are totally full of these symbiotic relationships.

The marketed product 'Myke" is only once of hundreds of mychorrizal types out there, and has been successfully been reproduced in a stable format for sale. We learned that it will expire (box should indicate an expiry date), it doesn't work with some plants at all, (follow product's instructions carefully) and is actually recommended by some nurseries so much, they will warranty shrubs and trees that have been installed with it.

We looked at a number of samples under microscope to see the mychorrizal effect (samples taken from forest specimens) and could clearly see the symbiotic relationships between the fungi and the roots.

It was a great class and one that taught us a great deal. We were fascinated!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby copperbeech » Aug 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Heidi S wrote:We learned that it will expire (box should indicate an expiry date),

As well when storing it past the summer be sure to bring it in when it gets cold as it loses its effectiveness when subjected to freezing temperatures.

I am on my second container of MYKE this summer and I will not finish it. I made sure that the best before date was such that I would be able to use it next season. (My container shows a month in 2014.)
copperbeech

Return to Plant Talk