Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Green Manure

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Green Manure

Postby Eeyore » Aug 15, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks for the info Inge. I need to test the soil first. I don't think nitrogen is an issue but until I test I won't be sure.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Aug 15, 2012 10:20 am

It's only about 1500ft^2
But I want a CEC of 20

I could do another 1000Ft^2, but my wife might hit me a few times, then a few more times just because. And once more for fun. then once for the forum.

The thing is where to find the organic material. I refuse, absolutely refuse to take the organics from the city which is free. Won't happen. Mushroom compost is useless and spent garbage good for only breaking up clay. And they sell "forest compost", riiight.

What I need is to find a farm in the ottawa area. Meanwhile I guess rye and buckwheat is all I have to go for in the immediate, which won't do much.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Aug 15, 2012 11:37 am

If I were you, I would go for a drive in the country and boldly drive up to the house of any farm where there are horses or cattle grazing - or leave a note in the mailbox with your phone #.
Ask nicely if they would be willing to sell you a couple of small bales, even "spoiled" ones. You'll get over charged of course, but you'll likely come away with some. [Hopefully you have a pick-up truck or a large trunk.]
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Aug 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Hay?
I thought those bales of hay you can buy in October weren't very good for gardens? Something about taking forever to decompose or something along those lines? I never gave it a second thought after reading something like that.

So this is good?

EDIT:
Did a fast re-read, some places say use straw, rotted straw is better (as you said). And it does takes a long while to decompose.

I, um, I don't know the diff between hay and straw. Guess I'll find out now.

TY for the tip OGrubber, it never dawned on me.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening