Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What type of sun light is this?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What type of sun light is this?

Postby Porcelina » Aug 15, 2012 9:26 am

My garden is mainly shade, but one end gets 2-3 hours hot midday sun. I'm in Wasaga Beach, so the soil is sandy, but I've added top soil/peat so that the shady part does well as a shade garden. The shady part (which is shady from a GIANT oak tree) is doing really well with hostas, ferns, bleeding hearts and jacobs ladder, but the sunny part during the midday has everything just withering away and dying. I've had to move several plants to a shadier area so they wouldn't fry.

I'm not sure if I should be planting full sun plants there as the sun is only there for 2-3 hours (1-3 pm). I'm thinking coneflowers and coralbells in that part? Any sun loving hostas I could put there? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Porcelina

Re: What type of sun light is this?

Postby Eeyore » Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

I'm not sure Coral Bells would do well, they need better soil however you could try something like Echinacea (Cone Flower) or something that like sandy soil and part sun. You could also add some compost to improve the soil. The problem with sand is that it is extremely lean on nutrients so you have to work with that when selecting plants.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Porcelina » Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the reply. The sandy soil has been mixed with both peat moss and top soil, so its pretty good dirt now. As mentioned, my shady plants are loving the mix that I created, so the dirt is pretty much made at this point for shade loving plants. Thats why I'm just not too sure what to put in this one area....

Any other suggestions?
Porcelina

Postby Peggy2296 » Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am

I have the same situation as you do - an area mostly shade except for a few hours of blazing sun during the hottest part of the day. My landscaping is new so I had to do trial and error and ended up moving a few plants, especially with the drought we experienced this year.
What is working for me in that area: Sedums, a mini Monarda, Rudbeckia, Oriental lillies, a daylily, and a variety of hosta with thick, bluish leaves.
Peggy2296

Postby Porcelina » Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I was thinking daylilies. Right now I have 2 Japanese ferns that are thisclose to being in the sun. I'm obviously going to have to move them into a shadier spot for next year. I have a couple of sedums that I could divide and stick there too... I'm wondering if I could put some mums there too for fall blooms?
Porcelina

Postby Peggy2296 » Aug 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Funny you mention Japanese ferns. I have one just at the edge of the sunniest place and it's doing just fine. I also had a Christmas fern there which seemed very tolerant of this hot sun.

One other plant that I wasn't sure about is a Heuchera "Brass Lantern". I was going to move it out of the hot sun, but it seems to love it there and got huge and very colourful. That might be something to consider. Beautiful plant.
Peggy2296

Postby Eeyore » Aug 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Daylilies would do well there....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Aug 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I have Japanese Painted Fern in both shade and blazing sunshine. The one in the shade has a little more colour, but the one in full sun for most of the day is nice too. So this particular fern is not too fussy.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » Aug 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey Porcelina!! Not far away form me!!!

Even though you have amended your soil, the sand you have under works as drainage...so all water won't stay so much in the soil unless you have amended to about 6 to 8 inches!

Not to mention, sand tends to float up to the surface!

Anything in the coneflower family will do well if you are looking for colour.....Daisies, coneflower, Galardia, coreopsis.

But hostas and Daylilies will love it too! Anything that is said to be drought resistant.....dianthus, perrenial sage, yarrow, even some of the smaller sedums will be fine there to.

There's a nursery close to Wasaga that could help you find stuff....*wink*

Just don't ask for me...I'm not there till Monday! LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Porcelina » Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Kelly_m, a nursery near here? Not the Bradford GHG? I guess its near, fingers crossed theres one closer, a secret gem that I dont know of...

I'll hold off moving the fern until I see whats going to happen to it. The astilbes that were in that sunny section are currently fried to crispies atm, I'm hoping they are still alive enough that I can move them to the shadier section next month...
Porcelina

Next

Return to Plant Talk