Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 1:56 pm

I need the cunning of some forum members to help me out, fast.

Story:
So the wife and kids have been bugging me for a dog. I said only if we rescue one, and it must be an older one.

Little did I know, they found one about to be sent to be put to sleep by some dog owners in the country area.

Dog is used to be free roaming and not in a house. So I said it will never work.

So they asked the owners if they could "babysit" it for a weekend, owners gave it to the wife and she brought it home... Surprise.

I said it will bark and eat the furniture. When I went to bed this flea-ridden thing jumped up on the bed, laid it head beside mine & drooled on my face.

I refused to walk it, or pick up poop. I told the kids if you don't do it, then no dog. Kids walked it, wife did poop patrol. (but we all know this will end up my job in a month)

So that weekend ended and I figured it would be the last of it. But, NoOoOoo.

All this week the wife was saying "we" are getting that dog. I said no. We don't have the room for it. It's used to being free and not tied up, or in a small back yard. I figured that was the last of it... cuz... you know... I wear the pants here... (insert an OGrubber Gufaw)

So last night I go to sneak a cookie.. what do I see? a cupboard full of dog treats. I say WTF! I'm "told" the dog is coming this weekend. We are it's new home.

So it's like Friday... how come I find this out now? Seems there has been planning and scheming going on that didn't involve me.

So, I ask the forum members here to help me come up with reasons to not have this flea bag here. Help me out! I have till the end of the day to toss some reasons out there and put my foot down.

What are the cons of having this thing?

Pic's of the ugly mutt:
dog.JPG
dog.JPG (13.65 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

dog2.JPG
dog2.JPG (16.4 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby B_BQ » Aug 17, 2012 2:27 pm

C'mon Marc! He looks gorgeous - a lot of German Shepherd in him/her.
If he/she's got fleas then they can be gotten rid of, (but make sure you do this BEFORE you let him/her in the house!!).
Make sure shots are up to date.
Neuter if male, spay if female.
How old? It's never too old to teach a dog some new tricks! (Different lifespans for different size dogs - usually the larger the breed the shorter the lifespan).
By the size of him he is going to need 'brisk walkies' on a regular basis.

We used to breed/train/show Golden Retrievers and a Yellow Lab. They pretty much lived in the house with us - a nice big fenced run and insulated kennel outside for when they had to be outside.

So, no help from me I'm afraid. Some of my best memories are of all the dogs and us having the best of times.

Mind you, there were some pretty grim times too, especially when one or the other would escape occasionally, (we lived just outside a city in the country), and find the dirtiest, smelliest, rotting carcass or cow poop to roll in and then come home with a smile on their face!

Or when we would go blueberry picking. Our Yellow Lab particularly liked blueberries, and would turn his lower jaw into a shovel, crouch down and run with his jaw just above the ground to scoop up the low-growing blueberries. Blue poop patrol was interesting to say the least for the next day or two!!!!!

The hardest thing about owning an animal is to have to say goodbye to it. 10 or 15 years might sound like a long time, but it sure passes quickly.

After having to say goodbye about 6 years ago to the last of at least seven dogs and a cat we had over the years, we decided we didn't want any more goodbyes. Just too painful.

Let us know how he/she is settling down in the new home! lol! lol!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Hrmph. Lotta help you are, friend! ;)

It's female. 5 or 6 years old (best guess). Seems they tried to use it as a breeding dog and trying to sell fake huskies. Heard the SPCA has been to their place more than once and threatening to take the dogs (or something like this, not 100% sure.). Yeah for sure some German Sheppard in there and some huskie.

No blueberry picking here, bears are already out and laid claim to the berry bushes. Some guy in the area got attacked yesterday. Managed to get away with only 20 or so stitches while fighting it off with his shoe. heh. Lucky bugger.

B_BQ wrote:Let us know how he/she is settling down in the new home! lol!
BAH!

Scoreboard:
Dumbo: 0
Dumbo's scheming family: 1

I don't want this thing.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Remember, Marc, any sign of weakness and the family will pounce. Have you checked to make sure this breed/or mix of breeds is healthy and not prone to any particular defects? That would be a major concern for me...astronomical vet bills.

My children have been pestering us for a pet dog too. I told them they make enough smell and I have plenty of dust bunnies. Seriously, how often do children promise to take care of poo patrol, only to have parents take over after the initial rush of ownership?

The dog is cute...I think you should be fitted for a tutu.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Absolutely no support for you Marc.. I'm with the family.
I wasn't going to get another dog after my black lab died; but I ended up with another one .He was a shredding terror while a pup, but is becoming a good dog, although stubborn as they come . Your dog is over the puppy stages. She'll make a great dog for the family. I suspect and encourage you to find out you wear the pants in the family ; but this time wife tells you which pair.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Grannygardener » Aug 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Poor Marc. You sound much like my Husbamd when the kids got him a dog to take for walks after he had his first heart attack. Our dog was similar to yours but white and yellow.She was 2 when we got her and had to put her down last Dec. at 12.Very sad day for me and if I could find another just like her would do it in a hearbeat.Stand firm on whose duties are what,alternate poop duty,feeding and walking.She'll become your best friend anyway. And a good guard dog too. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Donna. it's a mutt (mix). Not a pure breed. So normally, as a rule of thumb, the genetic problems tend to not be there. But it's not eliminated...

Yup, I said the same (more or less) as you did. Got a cat. No one will feed it. No one will put it out. No one will change the litter box. No one will pick up all the cat hair. So I bluntly told the kids that due to this the answer is a big fat no.

Then the wife says it will do you good to walk the dog in the evenings. Told her want nothing at all to do with it. That includes walks, picking up poop, feeding it, picking up the ton of hair it left here for that weekend. At most I'll drop it off to be euthanized or put it in a box and run a hose from the car exhaust to the box and do it myself.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:The dog is cute...I think you should be fitted for a tutu.

I think you just called me gay and balless.

davefrombc wrote:Absolutely no support for you Marc.. I'm with the family.

No surprise. You are welcome to come pick up the poop and hair. Not like the kids will do it.

Edie, standing firm now and b*tching at the moment as I type this about finding dog treats and finding out the dog is coming tonight or tomorrow. I want nothing to do with *alternate* anything with the dog. Just don't want another hassle, or as you are sort of predicting, another job around the house. I'm telling her now to call this off. But I'm getting a lot of lip back. Told her to buy a cage and lock it up when she's out at the gym, or out having coffee, or out for weekends w/ the kids sports, or out wherever cuz I won't take care of it at all. She's fuming....

Scoreboard:
Dumbo: 1 (TY Donna, you rock, even if you did call me gay)
Dumbo's scheming family: 3
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Look, Marc, you know the wife runs the house, and you are just there to keep the place running along. Trust me, a nice, middle-aged female dog is going to be a great companion for all of you - yes including you! She will enjoy being by your side in the garden, help you with the harvest (mine eats raspberries and asparagus with gusto) and give you the exercise all us humans need. Who is going to keep you company when the wife and kids are out doing their stuff, which you obviously don't participate in? The dog!

Besides, you left the door wide open with your original conditions - rescue, older - that my friend is "YES" in any language. So, having not said "NO", you have already agreed to this dog, as she obviously meets your criteria! She sounds quite sweet, and clearly is happy with you all as her new housemates.

The hair, well, my dog doesn't shed as much as my cats as it goes. But vacuuming up animal hair is just a part of life.

By the way, she is clearly not an ugly dog, she has a sweet face! So you must need to get your eyes tested. Maybe your male bits too! Quit yr bitch'n Man!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Aug 17, 2012 5:30 pm

You are right. I did leave the door open with those conditions since I would have preferred to rescue one instead of buying a pup. Yup, I did this one to myself. You nailed it alright. (good thing they didn't toss this in my face. Bet they don't even remember me saying it...).

But it doesn't mean go get one, tell no one, and... surprise! As Edie pointed out, it's a shared responsibility no matter what anyone says.

I never say no to anything. I don't think any one person should wear the pants, so to speak. I always say do what you want. But in this instance.. uhg. It's something that will be shared and everyone involved should have a say. But at the moment i'm the bad guy, everyone is ticked off.

Doesn't matter I guess. I lost. Guess I better go get fitted for a tutu.

....and... as I just finished typing my last sentence up above... ding-dong, door bell rings... the dog is here.

Unbelievable.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Aug 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Marc: All joking aside, and I think you're semi-serious with this topic, I really firmly believe that if and when this dog comes to live with you that you insist, (absolutely), that the children and your wife take on the responsibility. It's very hard when there is even one member of a family that really doesn't want this, and those other members have to respect that.

A story: We had teacher friends. He taught at the university and she taught at high school. They had three boys. Mum & Dad loved the kids to bits but they were very very firm with them. They also had dogs, and bred and showed them. (He later went on to become an international judge, (he travels all over the world judging at dog shows). The three boys had responsibilities and some of those responsibilities were to help feed, clean up, exercise, and look after the dogs. They moaned and groaned, but both parents were insistent, and the boys knew they couldn't get out of it.

The boys are all grown now. One became a geneticist, another a psychologist and the other a teacher.

They're all married now with families, and have a great relationship with their parents!

Good luck with this Marc. You're going to need it.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence