Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is this a butterfly bush?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Is this a butterfly bush?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm

We have these two bushes in front of our house that aren't much to look at. Last summer, which was our first summer in the house, nothing happened. But, lo and behold, I walked by them this weekend and they are starting to blossom!

I can only think that they are blossoming b/c we had all the tree's pruned in May. It's still not full sun, but obviously more sun than the property has seen in years. My neighbour thinks butterfly bush, which we did have (gave to another neighbour who has full sun), but this white blossom doesn't look like it did. I can't smell much either off of them.

Go to last two pics in album. :)

THANKS!!
Jenn

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Pi ... directlink
HeelsDown

Re: Is this a butterfly bush?

Postby B_BQ » Aug 19, 2012 10:29 pm

It looks like a hydrangea to me! Not Annabelle or Pee Gee but one with a flat hand type of flower.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Definitely Hydrangea!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Ha! I should have known! I have three other bushes of hydrangea's on the side of the house...maybe the snowball version...

Is it odd that it would flower suddenly this summer when it didn't last year? I thought they didn't need full sun to bloom?

Hydrangea roots are fun...and seem to be everywhere in my garden I've discovered over the past year lol!

Thanks both!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm

We were at the garden store on the weekend buying some emerald cedars to plant in the back yard to hide our neighbour's shed and garbage pile and I saw some hydrangea's there that might be what mine are. Described them to the employee there and we think they might be pee wee hydrangea's. I google imaged that and it looks possible...mine may have had issues over the past though b/c they are so small and have not flowered in two years...just not sure the leaves of each match. Huh.

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby AdamB » Sep 13, 2012 3:12 am

kelly_m wrote:Definitely Hydrangea!!!!

It is... :mrgreen:
AdamB

Return to Plant Talk