Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Phlox Powdery Mildew

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Phlox Powdery Mildew

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Seriously. I see the last of the lily beetle after pulling out all my asiatic lillies, and then yesterday I find this film on my phlox! I googled it and turns out I have powdery mildew. Apparently, it's not fatal to the plant as long as it isn't covering the entire plant and every leaf. I cut back the stalks that had the most on them not only to get rid of them, but to try and get some air circulating through them.

I found a recipe I can mix up and spray on the phlox that will prevent it from spreading to the healthy leaves so going to do that this week - it's dish soap, vegetable oil, water, and baking soda. I'm pretty sure next year they are due to be split as they are getting quite thick. However, 100% thinking that it's been high humidity we've had and now the nights are damp and cold. I didn't help much by watering the tops and not the ground instead when it was really, really hot.

Anyone have any experience with this? They should be fine for next year...right? I love them! Pink, dark pink and white ones and they smell so lovely.

At least it's not bug poo! :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Phlox Powdery Mildew

Postby Countryboy » Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

Yr probably right abt the watering contributing to Mildew, Jenn. Aided by the fact that established Phlox tends to clump closely enuf to impede air circulation.

I've never had it on my plants. But my Phlox has gone thru other crises and come out smiling! Chewed by Deer???... no problem . . it comes back. Top leaves curl up and droop from some kind of disease???... no problem . . by the time blossom time comes around the blooms will be there.

That may be why it's one of my favourites. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby B_BQ » Aug 20, 2012 10:52 am

Looks like you're now able to deal with this problem.
Phlox has always notoriously been afflicted with powdery mildew, and it's always recommended that it gets plenty of air circulation. Mildew doesn't like moving fresh air!
And watering from the bottom helps too - so you're on the right track. Good luck!
So far I've been lucky with my phlox, but yesterday I did move a solid concrete planter from in front of a stand of phlox and replaced it with an open-air lattice metal planter, just so that there would be more air flow.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, can definitely handle a little mildew...so much better than pulling off beetle poo!

I made up my concoction of baking soda, soap and water and sprayed them tonight. I did it right when I got home so hopefully it dried b/c it's cold and damp now and it might just compound the problem!

Countryboy - I didn't realize they were so resilant. I love them even more now!

BBQ - good idea...think next spring, I'll look at splitting them a bit...and not watering from the top down lol! I didn't water them at all last year since itwasn't such a hot July so I'm for sure part of the problem. Live and learn in the wide world of gardening! :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk