Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

planting tulip bulbs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

planting tulip bulbs

Postby cottage country bob » Aug 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I am in a zone 5. am transplanting several tulip bulbs. any recommendations as to how deep they s/b planted and also is early September a good time to do this
cottage country bob

Re: planting tulip bulbs

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Generally six inches deep, or three times the height of the bulb. The bag they came in should indicate the proper planting depth. I might be tempted to plant a little deeper in my zone, but not by much.

If you have any problems with squirrels or other varmints, you might want to take some preemptive action by fashioning some cages around the planting area to protect the bulbs from being dug up.

I would plant them in late September, even into October. You don't want the bulb to grow too much before going into a freeze. Maybe someone else thinks differently...whatever you do, don't plant them in single rows...they look really stupid that way.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Aug 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree with Donna. Wait until a bit later in the later, and plant them fairly deep in clumps with an odd number, i.e. 3, 5, 7, 9 ... etc. They look better that way.

One thing you should remember with newer varieties of tulips is that they won't necessarily come up year after year like the old varieties did. Some people even plant them as annuals!!!

Me? I've stopped growing tulips because: a) the squirrels like them and b) they just fade away after a year or two.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Is this your rule of thumb?
hotsummerone

Return to Plant Talk